From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] 'What a Way' awards scholarships

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:04:23 -0500

	 <http://www.lcms.org>
e-News
	LCMS News

	PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE! This message comes
from a "Send Only" Mailbox that does not recognize replies.

	August 30, 2004 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 65

	'What a Way' initiative awards scholarships

	The Synod's "What a Way" initiative officially got under way
this summer by awarding 24 scholarships and continuing-education
certificates to Concordia University System schools and announcing its
new Web site.

	"We felt that the best thing we could do to introduce the
initiative was to give the best we have to offer -- scholarships and
continuing-education certificates to our Concordias," said Dr. L. Dean
Hempelmann, chairman of the What a Way working group that started
building the initiative two years ago.

	Hempelmann describes What a Way as "a program to help us in the
LCMS rebuild a lifestyle in our homes and congregations of encouraging
people to serve the Lord as church workers and for church workers to
remain steadfast in their high calling."

	Four $3,000 scholarships and 20 $250 continuing-education
certificates went to delegates to the July 10-14 Synod convention in St.
Louis and to youth and adults registered for the July 24-28 LCMS
National Youth Gathering in Orlando.

	Those receiving the $3,000 scholarships are Rev. Don Hougard of
Germantown, Wis.; Eileen Clark, Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.; Brittney Nelson,
Fremont, Neb.; and Dana Kitsch, Cando, N.D.

	Hempelmann said the recipients' names were drawn at random.

	The new Web site, at www.whataway.org <http://www.whataway.org>
, describes the What a Way initiative and lists resources available.
Among those resources is a DVD that appeals to youth to think about
their vocational choices and features professional church workers
talking about their vocations.

	Participants at a "One Mission Ablaze: Igniting Congregations"
event last year in Lafayette, Ind., chose the DVD to receive funding
from Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, specifying that it be produced
and offered in time for the youth gathering.

	If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release,
contact Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org or (314) 996-1231,
or Paula Schlueter Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org or (314) 996-1230.

	  This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided by:

	Board for Communication Services, Division of News and
Information
Contact Editor
<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editorid
=6>

		To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this Newsletter and
many others, please visit LCMS e-News <http://www.lcms.org/enews> .
		Share this Newsletter
<http://www.lcms.org/enews/forward.asp?m=2198>	with a friend.

MessageId=2198 UserId=10073
  _____

Design ) Copyright 2003 The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.
<http://www.lcms.org>
No reproduction without consent. All rights reserved.