From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ALC Noticias August 31 2004 Brazil Argentina Puerto Rico

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:52:10 -0700

ALC NEWS SERVICE
E-mail: director@alcnoticias.org

CONTENT

BRAZIL: Ecumenical Consultation Pastoral Letter rejects integration that
does not favor the majority
ARGENTINA: It is time for Argentina to awaken, said provincial vice
governor of Misiones
BRAZIL: Evangelical action in politics must leave a mark, said representative
ARGENTINA: Pirez Esquivel supports complaint against World Bank
PUERTO RICO: Justice and Peace Association reject plans to make weapons in
Puerto Rico

-------
BRAZIL
Ecumenical Consultation Pastoral Letter rejects integration that does not
favor the majority

SAO PAULO, Aug 27 (alc) - As Churches we want to address the economic
implications of the Free Trade Agreements (FTA) from an integral
perspective, as ethical values and human dignity are central for us, said
a Pastoral Letter published by the Continental Consultation about Market
Integration and Human Dignity.

This consultation, convened by the Latin American Council of Churches
(CLAI) through its Faith, Economy and Society Program, brought together
close to 80 representatives from Churches and ecumenical bodies in 18 Latin
American and Caribbean countries from August 20-22, along with
representatives from Churches in the United States, Canada, England, Sweden
and the World Council of Churches (WCC).

Given the situation in our countries in Latin America and the Caribbean,
the economic globalization process cannot be ignored, given its effects in
the daily lives of our peoples. Mission, on this continent, calls us to
recognized our socio-economic reality, so that we can be agents of
transformation and hope in the light of the Gospel of the Kingdom of God,
added the Pastoral letter.!

The FTA, rather than leading to an improvement in the socio-economic
conditions in Latin American and Caribbean daily life, deepens the
imposition of a model that promotes the elimination of some safeguards that
minimally protect local and national development as well as the development
of our economies, said the message to Evangelical Churches in the hemisphere.

At the same time the FTA promote investment from multinationals in our
countries, to the detriment of small and mid sized business people and
farmers. We also recognize how the harmful effects of these policies also
erode the social fabric of those so-called First World countries, said
the pastoral letter.

We see with a great deal of concern that the FTA proposed by the United
States and the European Union do not take into account peoples lives and
their cultures, nor the economies of the involved countries, destroying the
environment and their sustainability. For this we are radically opposed to
economic integration projects and economic treaties with Latin America
and the Caribbean that do not include respect for human dignity and the
integrity of creation, the document stated.

Regarding the responsibility of the Church in this situation, the Pastoral
states: We feel, as part of the body of Christ, the weight of all economic
processes on our people. This pain, these violations of human dignity, cry
to the heavens for justice.

We confess that many times we have remained silent, others have consented
and moreover, we have omitted a word of prophetic judgment aimed at those
who engender, direct and execute process of economic integration to the
benefit of an excluding minority, it noted.

Finally, it expressed its hope because many people and organizations
across the continent affirm that another world is possible. It applauded
new alternatives that have emerged and economic political projects that
have come from indigenous, womens, young peoples and community movements
that practice economic solidarity.

The pastoral concludes by calling on Churches to pray, act and offer
testimony carrying out those actions that cannot be delayed in obedience
to the Gospel.

-------------------
ARGENTINA
It is time for Argentina to awaken, said provincial vice governor of Misiones

BUENOS AIRES, Aug 27 (alc). The Vice Governor in the province of Misiones,
in northeastern Argentina, Evangelical Pastor Pablo Tschirsch, called on
pastors, leaders and social Christian workers to dream of a better
Argentina in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and affirmed that the
country is a sleeping homeland that God could awaken.

Tschirsch spoke to some 200 pastors and Evangelical leaders and social
workers, coming from 15 provinces in Argentina and neighboring countries,
representing 50 Churches and service entities at the inauguration of the
National Encounter for Change and Social Protagonism Salt and Light, held
in Buenos Aires August 19 - 21.

It is time to rise up, said Tschirsch. He warned, however, that it is not
just a question of praying and preaching and also serving, and said that
to give your life to Jesus is to give your life for others.

Tschirsch manifested that his call does not mean all Christians should be
involved in politics in the country, although he said that if Christian
Evangelicals had occupied the spaces they rejected, things would not be as
they are in Argentina, in reference to the reigning corruption and misery.

He said, according to the Sal and Light press team, better times will
come if there are men and women who are willing to give God the glory that
corresponds to Him.

In a self-criticism, Tschirsch said we Evangelicals are quick to talk and
slow to act and added we are accustomed to being in four walls, looking
inward.

The meeting was organized by the Argentine Baptist Evangelical Convention
(CEBA) Community Action Area, the Evangelical Social Action Network and the
Kairos Foundation, with the support of the Federation Christian Alliance of
Evangelical Churches of the Argentine Republic (FACIERA), the Pastors
Council of Buenos Aires and the General Board of Worship of the Government
of the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires.

Speakers included pastors Emilio Monti, president of the Argentine
Federation of Evangelical Churches (FAIE), Guillermo Prein, of the New Life
Christian Center, Theologian Rene Padilla, economist Pablo Tigani and
therapist Zaida Azas de Puccio

The general objective was to exchange experiences and provide specific
training about the new intervention tools and social and community
participation that are emerging due to the current social situation in
Argentina, to strengthen the participation process and influence that
Churches are having in cities, provinces and at a national level.

------------------
BRAZIL
Evangelical action in politics must leave a mark, said representative

SAO PAULO, Aug 26 (alc). Preaching that is not accompanied by works is not
very Evangelical, said the representative from the federal district of
Brasilia, Peniel Pacheco, who participated, together with Brazilian
Environmental minister Marina Silva, in a reflection forum on Brazil.

The Progressive Evangelical Movement (MEP) in Sao Paulo organized the forum
August 14. Silva and Pacheco are members of the Assemblies of God Church.

The political action of Evangelicals must leave some essential marks, such
as, for example, not abandoning their principles. It is also not enough to
preach the Word, if it does not produce practice results. The Church will
only carry out its role when it preaches and puts the integral Gospel into
practice, said the representative.

Minister Silva, renowned for her ethical convictions, spoke about her
experience as a young girl working in rubber plantations in the Amazon, and
the struggle she had to study, her conversion and her current activity.

Our ministry is here and the accounts we must render come from above. When
I studied the Bible I found all the concepts that guide my daily life. We
Christians do not have any other alternative than to do politics with
radical ethics, emphasized Silva.

The MEP is an association committed to social change. It constitutes a
space for debate, formation and cooperation on the part of Evangelical
Christians, with the objective to battle for ethics and justice.

----------
ARGENTINA
Pirez Esquivel supports complaint against World Bank

BUENOS AIRES, Aug 26 (alc) - 1980 Nobel Peace Laureate Adolfo Perez
Esquivel, together with other Argentine individuals, presented a writ with
new evidence to support a complaint filed by the Argentine State against
the World Bank for social economic crimes affecting millions of residents.

Pirez Esquivel, Nora Cortiqas and Josi de Luca, called on Argentine justice
to include the evidence that was presented and recently made public, to the
complaint Argentina filed before the World Bank Arbitral Tribunal in
response to a demand imposed by the US CMS firm.

This company filed a suit against the Argentine state, demanding $265
million, as compensation for damages suffered due to emergency economic
norms known as pesification, sanctioned by the Buenos Aires government in
2001 and 2002.

The Argentine state presented evidence alleging that CMS committed, through
the dominion of a financial economic power system, crimes that forced huge
sectors of the population into poverty, exposing them to conditions that
have lead to serious physical and psychic harm that are inherent to social
exclusion.

These economic and social crimes were committed against millions of
Argentines through a system of domination led by the International Monetary
Fund and the World Bank, the state alleges. The arbitration is still to be
resolved and is before the ICSID, based in Paris, France.

According to estimates made by economic-financial media, the CMS suit is a
pilot case that others will follow and the amount is approximately $16
billion, which would put the Argentine state at enormous risk.

The new evidence presented by Perez Esquivel states that the Argentine
state was placed in state of need due to the application of economic
policies that were imposed - Indirectly or directly - by the International
Monetary Fund. This situation impeded it from fulfilling its obligations
stemming from agreements celebrated as a consequence of these impositions.

He added that the resulting situation would imply a risk of dissolving the
National State as the Argentine government defense maintains.

  He said, moreover, that the increase in rates that the company is
seeking, if they are accepted, would make the damage invoked in the lawsuit
irreparable and would provoke an unsustainable increase of poverty,
aggravating the critical social and economic situation in the country.

------------
PUERTO RICO
Justice and Peace Association reject plans to make weapons in Puerto Rico

SAN JUAN, Aug 25 (alc) - A proposal to leave federal legislation regarding
the fabrication, sale and distribution of weapons without effect, currently
in place in Puerto Rico, was emphatically rejected by the civil association
Caribbean Justice and Peace Project.

All around the world people are demanding that Governments act firmly to
control illegal weapons traffic and reduce their availability, to guarantee
the protection of citizens and construct safer communities, said Wanda
Colon Cortes, spokesperson for the pacifist organization established in 1973.

  The increase of the loss of human life for armed violence, is clear
evidence that fire arms are out of control, said Colon, lobbying the
public to take a critical stance.

The proposal to not renew that ban in the federal Assault Weapons Ban
that will expire next September 14, is part of a pressure campaign on the
part of the weapons industry that invests millions to fund political
campaigns in the United States, to guarantee the sale and export of
weapons, said Colon. The most significant investment is aimed at the
Republican Party, according to researchers.

  In Puerto Rico an average 2 people are murdered each day and it is
estimated that around the world half a million people die because of
gunshots from small or light weapons.

Small and light weapons include revolvers, rifles, automatic rifles,
grenades, machine guns and pistols.

The Caribbean Justice and Peace Project is part of an International Action
Network Against Small Arms (IANSA) that is developing the international
campaign called To control weapons.

The objective of the campaign is to denounce the lack of control in the
world weapons traffic and promote the reduction of the illegal use of
weapons, as well as to convince governments to establish a treaty to
control the international weapons trade that will make it possible to bring
down the number of dead and injured due to armed violence.

Latin American and Caribbean
Communication Agency (ALC)
P.O. Box 14-225 Lima 14 Peru
E-mail: director@alcnoticias.org