From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Montreat campground, playground closed by

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:22:14 -0500

Note #8502 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

04434
September 30, 2004

Montreat campground, playground closed by hurricane-related flood

by Kim Hayes, Montreat Conference Center
and Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - Torrential rains loosed by back-to-back hurricanes Frances and
Ivan have forced closure of the family campground and Robert Lake Playground
at Montreat Conference Center in North Carolina.

	The rain quickly refilled Montreat's Lake Susan, which had been
emptied to facilitate repairs to its dam, and crested at two feet above the
dam's spillway.

	Prior to the storms Montreat officials had activated the conference
center's emergency response plan, which resulted in evacuation of some homes
below the dam. "We knew we were sustaining damages at the conference center
and that we'd have to deal with them," said conference center president
George Barber, "but with the lake filling up as fast as it was, lives were a
lot more important than property."

	Flooding affected several areas within the conference center, but the
campground and playground were hardest hit. The damage included the washout
of the access road to the campground.

	"The sun is shining again today, and thankfully these crises have
passed without serious injury or loss of life," said Barber, following the
second storm.  "We are especially grateful to all the emergency management
personnel and dam safety officials who stood with us through those long, wet
nights, keeping watch over the spillway and sharing our concerns for safety
downstream.  They helped us prepare for the worst, and they made sure that,
if the worst did come to pass, people would be safe."

	Barber said the City of Montreat will repair the road. "We expect it
to be open again in time for campers to enjoy the fall colors," he said.

	Restoring the playground is a different matter. "The damages are
extensive," Barber said, "and first estimates indicate that repairs will be
very costly.  A lot of work will have to be done before children will be able
to play there again.

	"This is one of those times when help from our friends and supporters
around the country truly will make a difference."