From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Complaint filed against Mission Presbytery pastor

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:42:21 -0500

Note #8523 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

04453
October 8, 2004

Complaint filed against Mission Presbytery pastor

Rigby accused of performing 'gay marriage service'

by Shane Whisler
Associate Executive for Communications
Synod of the Sun

CARROLLTON, Texas - The General Assembly's passionate debate over ordination
and marriage standards now has faces attached to it in Mission Presbytery
with the filing of a complaint against the Rev. James D. Rigby, pastor of St.
Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Austin.

	Though the source of the complaint is a surprise - a Presbyterian
student at the University of Texas - Rigby said he expected such a complaint
would inevitably be filed against him or a session member of the congregation
nationally known for its strong stance on social justice issues.

	The student, a freshman, initiated the complaint when he read in the
campus newspaper that Rigby performed a 'gay marriage service' during an
'equity rally.'

	The rally included both homosexual and heterosexual students. Some
wanted to be married. Others asked for ceremonial blessings of relationships
between straight and gay friends to pledge their solidarity.

	Last year, Rigby said he expected a complaint to be filed when Paul
Rolf Jensen, a southern California attorney and member of St. Andrews
Presbyterian Church in Newport Beach, CA, sent him a letter stating as much
and accusing Rigby of ordaining an openly gay elder.

	Though the two accusations were initially unrelated, Jensen prepared
the complaint on behalf of the student after the student consulted with his
pastor - the Rev. Bill Parr, pastor of Nor'kirk Presbyterian Church in
Carrollton - and with Rigby.

	Because judicial proceedings at this stage are supposed to be
confidential, the student is not named in this story to protect his identity.

	Parr said he added his name to the complaint in part out of pastoral
concern for the student and his family. He also said that Rigby's actions
were 'a blatant violation of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Constitution.

	'I told the student that I didn't like the concept of bringing
charges against another minister, but it was a clear violation,' said Parr, a
member of Grace Presbytery.

	The student was urged to contact Rigby directly before filing the
complaint. When they met, Rigby gave the student Jensen's name, saying that
the student was struggling with to go about the process of filing a
complaint. Jensen has filed nearly 30 complaints against ministers and
governing bodies all around the country.

	Rigby said he doesn't believe the case is about him, but about the
issues facing the PC(USA).

	'I'm hoping this will prompt real discussion,' he said. 'I honestly
don't believe we've had the discussion we need to have.'