From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Primary Focus now available on PBS stations

From "Henry Hess" <hessh@crcna.ca>
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:18:05 -0400

Oct. 12, 2004, Palos Heights, Ill. -- Primary Focus, the Back To God Hour's
highly rated magazine program, can now be seen on public television stations
across the United States.
	For the past five years, viewers have been able to watch this
award-winning series on Christian television networks and stations in the
U.S. and Canada and during the last year it also became available on FOX,
UPN, NBC and ABC stations.    But the recent move into public television
opens up a whole new audience.
	"This is an indication that Primary Focus is filling a need in
television programming," says the program's senior producer, Mona Hennein.
"Viewers as well as television executives want to see a more positive message
on television."
	Carrie Corbin, program manager for WGVU-TV in Grand Rapids, Mich.
agreed. This PBS affiliate is the presenting station for Primary Focus, and
Corbin and Hennein worked together for almost six months to prepare the
series for its launch on public television stations nationwide.
	"Primary Focus will make a great contribution to our fall line-up,"
Corbin said.  "I am pleased to be able to offer our viewers another series
about people and issues of faith.  "I hope viewers will enjoy Primary Focus
and will let us know that they find it valuable."
	Back To God Hour Executive Director Calvin Bremer said the programs
are intended to reach people who have no connection with a church.  He
described the programs as "pre-evangelical" and said they are "targeted to
help viewers see how the Christian faith offers real solutions to life's
problems."
	Because of its practical applications, churches, youth groups and
schools have used Primary Focus episodes as tools for discussion, and some
police services are using the program "Cops Don't Cry" in their training.
	Bremer said that, as communication technology changes, the Back To
God Hour must keep up with changing demands as it seeks "to make disciples of
all peoples through our electronic media ministry."
	Although research shows that nearly 90 percent of North Americans say
that they believe in God, and 70 percent say having a relationship with God
is top priority, these values are seldom reflected in television programming.
Primary Focus seeks to fill that gap. It breaks away from traditional
preaching programs, using compelling stories and interviews to look at the
hope and healing people find in their faith.
	"Instead of presenting more reality television, we try to present the
reality of Christ," Hennein explained.
	This is not the first time that the Back To God Hour has been a
leader in television.  Nearly 30 years ago, it was one of the first Christian
ministries to broadcast a teaching format, with Dr. Joel Nederhood's long
running and respected Faith 20 program.
	Primary Focus has received many awards, including four 2004 Aurora
Awards, an international competition honoring excellence in film and
television.  It also received the 2004 Clarion Award from the National
Association of Women in Communications.   The program currently airs on more
than 200 commercial and Christian stations and nearly 100 public television
stations.
	For more information, check out Primary Focus at www.primaryfocus.tv
<http://www.primaryfocus.tv>.	For the address or telephone number of your
local affiliate, call the Back To God Hour at 1-800-879-6555.

-30-

Henry Hess
Director of Communications
Christian Reformed Church