From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] How would Jesus rule?

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:34:20 -0500

Note #8533 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

04464
October 15, 2004

How would Jesus rule?

Theological task force explores relationship between polity and power

by Jerry L. Van Marter

CHICAGO - Presbyterians (and other Christians) are wont to say that Jesus
Christ is the Head of the Church.

	"This is a wonderfully pious thought," the Rev. Mark Achtemeier told
the Presbyterian Church (USA) Theological Task Force on Peace, Unity and
Purity of the Church at its Oct. 14 meeting here. "But does it translate into
anything meaningful? Does our polity (form of church government) actually
bring us back
to Christ's Lordship?"

	In a wide-ranging discussion on the relationship between theology,
polity and power in the church, task members agreed on the need, as
Achtemeier put it, "to recover a vision of the church led by Christ rather
than by bureaucracies and competing interest groups."

	That vision, he continued, affirms that Jesus Christ rules his church
through "the Word of Scripture . . . guided by the Holy Spirit. The Reformed
tradition believes that the Holy Spirit leads the church in rightly hearing
and obeying the voice of Christ in Scripture - we go to the author, not to
local or global authorities."

	Reformed theology and polity also teaches that the Spirit is best
discerned by the whole community, not by individuals alone, Achtemeier
continued. "Presbyterian polity sets up the church to be a listening,
discerning community," he said. "The Holy Spirit is given to the whole
community - standing off by ourselves, we don't have reliable access to the
truth. We need our brothers and sisters to filter out personal distortions."

	The Rev. Jose Luis Torres-Milan of Aguadilla, PR, agreed. "We're so
concerned about our own spirit, that we lose awareness of THE Spirit," he
said. "We need to get away from the polity model that sets losers and
winners."

	Noting that a number of groups	- the World Council of Churches, the
World Alliance of Reformed Churches, and the task force itself - are moving
away from parliamentary models to consensus decision-making, task force
co-moderator the Rev. Gary Demarest of Pasadena, CA, said he wishes the
PC(USA) would do the same.

	"We run into trouble - and it's a systemic flaw - when we
theologically search for the mind of Christ using Robert's Rules of Order,"
he said. "They simply were not designed to discern the mind of Christ.
Robert's Rules are not a discerning process."

	"Representing the mind of Christ is not always compatible with the
commonly held perception that the PC(USA) polity model is 'representative
democracy,' " said the Rev. Martha Sadongei of Phoenix.

	And yet, the Rev. John Wilkinson of Rochester, NY, conceded, "When we
teach polity, we too often say we're a representative democracy. It's worth
parsing some more."

	PC(USA) polity is NOT representative democracy, said the Rev. Jack
Haberer of Houston. "The call to discernment means to test any individual
claim," he said. "We need to reinforce that - elders and presbyters don't
represent the congregation or presbytery - they represent Jesus Christ."