From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Theological task force examines global context of

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:35:27 -0500

Note #8534 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

04465
October 15, 2004

Theological task force examines global context of its work

PC(USA) should model healthy conflict resolution, members agree

by Jerry L. Van Marter

CHICAGO - The impact of economic globalization on nations and churches, the
implications of growing diversity in the United States, the role of women in
church and society, and the role of the church in resolving conflicts were
among the issues discussed this morning as the Presbyterian Church (USA)
Theological Task Force on Peace, Unity and Purity of the Church tried to set
its work in a "world context."

	Conversations the rest of the day about the "personal" and "church"
contexts of the task force's work were closed to press and observers.

	Initial talk centered around a critique of the global economic system
contained in the message of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC)
General Council, which met earlier this summer in Accra, Ghana. PC(USA)
General Assembly stated clerk and new WARC president Clifton Kirkpatrick
briefed the task force on the WARC gathering Thursday night.

	"I'd like to offer a word on behalf of capitalism," said the Rev.
Mike Loudon of Lakeland, FL. "I'm well aware it's not a perfect system
economically. But the members of the church I serve - who make and lose a lot
of money - are also very generous. Their gifts to the church . . . are used
to further the work of God in the world."

	That may be so, said the Rev. Jong Hyeong Lee of Chicago, but "the
economic gap between the United States and other countries makes friendship
harder and breeds anti-U.S. sentiment, even in historically friendly
countries like South Korea."

	Joan Merritt of Bellevue, WA, noted that economic disparities are
also prevalent within the United States, which got the Rev. Jose Luis
Torres-Milan of Aguadilla, PR, started.

	"I come from an island that is not part of the U.S., but which
BELONGS to the U.S.," Torres-Milan said, adding that when he pastored in
California he could vote, but now, back in Puerto Rico, he cannot. "More than
50 percent of our 4 million people live below the poverty line, only 28
percent speak English, and the predominance of employment on our island is
part-time at places like Wal-Mart," he said. "This is important for the
PC(USA) because many people have made a decision to stay away from church and
other social institutions in order to make money.

	"The PC(USA) sends millions of dollars overseas while Latino churches
in the U.S. and Puerto Rico starve," Torres-Milan added. "We say we're a
'welcoming' church, but we're not enough of a sharing church."

	The Rev. John Wilkinson of Rochester, NY, said he's "convinced that
I'm not a very good citizen of the world because I'm so focused on the life
of our church." He said things are changing so rapidly in both the church and
culture "that I wonder if we're able to transform culture, as the Reformers
insist we do. What new paradigms of church can we come up with?"

	Jenny Stoner, task force co-moderator from Craftsbury, VT, said U.S.
Presbyterians need to be reminded that "sister churches in other parts of the
world are also in transition." Reflecting on reactions from other churches to
the PC(USA)'s debates on such issues as gay ordination, she said, "Their
'official word' is also not the only voice in those churches. We need to be
aware of where they are, but also realize that they are changing rapidly,
too."

	The Rev. Mark Achtemeier of Dubuque Theological Seminary said he's
"struck by differences between American Episcopals and world Anglicans and
between the PC(USA) and WARC." He cautioned against the kind of
"unilateralism" of the Episcopal Church that has led to serious breaches in
the worldwide Anglican communion. "I don't want us to fall into the same
chaos that the Episcopals have B> with the Presbyterian Church of East Africa
over ordination, for instance. We have a chance to be a significant model for
others by negotiating resolution better than has been done by others."

	Barbara Wheeler, president of Auburn Theological Seminary in New York
City, also stressed the importance of modeling "dignified differences."  She
said: "It (modeling respectful conflict resolution) matters to us because the
world is hungry for and pleading for examples of dignified differences B> not
to make life more comfortable and agreeable for our church but because the
gospel demands reconciliation in the face of inequities. Our (conflict
resolution) has to matter beyond our borders, or it's sinful self-indulgence
on our part."

over the lack of progress in the United States and around the world around
equality for women, Achtemeier warned against imposing the PC(USA)'s concerns
on others.

	"We have a tendency to want to be contextual with the rest of the
world," he said, "but also to advance our position because we're convinced
we're right.

	"Others resent us because we try to force them to take sides on our
issues. Women's ordination and gay ordination are critical to us but aren't
even on the table elsewhere, which is why we get such bafflement from them.
We need to be less inclined to impose our reality, but to say: 'This is
critical for us but we recognize it may not be for you.' "

	Growing diversity in the United States makes universal solutions to
conflict difficult even within the PC(USA), task force co-moderator the Rev.
Gary Demarest of Pasadena, CA, noted. "Presbyterianism is very different in
different parts of the country, so it's hard to find a unifying vision," he
conceded. "One size doesn't fit all any more. So how do we live and minister
and be faithful to a theology and polity that says we all have to do it the
same way?"

	The church's mission, Wheeler said, "is to give up conflict without
giving up convictions - to dignify difference by not giving up our
convictions but by not giving up each other either."