From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Interim controller named

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:43:18 -0500

Note #8551 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

04481
October 28, 2004

Interim controller named

'It's important to do work wisely and efficiently,' Golliher says

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - Judy A. Golliher, a CPA with 20 years experience in accounting
and financial management, has been named interim controller for the
Presbyterian Church (USA). She began her work Oct. 21.

	Golliher, a Catholic, says working for the PC(USA) "has opened up a
whole new world to me. Most Louisvillians don't appreciate the influence of
the PC(USA) all over the world. I've been amazed."

	A graduate of Ball State University in Muncie, IN, with postgraduate
academic work at the University of Kentucky, Golliher served for 13 years
with PNC Bank before spending three years, 1999-2001, with the Louisville
Real Estate Development Company, which worked closely with the city to
develop urban housing and neighborhood revitalization. Prior to coming to the
PC(USA), for three years she was chief financial officer for The Glenview
Trust Company.

	"I've always been intrigued by the PC(USA)," Golliher told the
Presbyterian News Service in an Oct. 27 interview. "I've had an increasing
interest in the nonprofit sector and thought the Presbyterian Center would be
a fabulous place to work."

	Golliher, who has known several PC(USA) financial staffers over the
years, was recruited by Mission Support Services (MSS) director Joey Bailey,
whom she has known for many years, dating back to when they both worked in
the local banking industry. "I have tremendous respect for Joey," she said.

	Golliher stepped into a somewhat unsettled situation. Previous
controller Nagy Tawfik was terminated this summer for what church officials
said was the mishandling of the bidding process for this year's external
audit. On Oct. 28 Tawfik sued the church, claiming his firing after working
for the church for 23 years was the result of discrimination because he is
from Egypt.

	"Part of my role to help the healing and to help MSS move on,"
Golliher said. "Because Nagy's departure was so abrupt, people tell me
they're just glad to see the lights on and the door open."

	She said she hopes to lead the MSS staff "through some evaluation and
reevaluation. It's important to do our work wisely and efficiently."

	Golliher said she's impressed "by the thorough understanding and
appreciation here that there are a lot of Presbyterians out there who are
giving their $1 or $5 a week or month because they want the church to do good
in the world. We owe it to them to do the very best we can."