From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 04503-Teen not only votes but runs for office in first

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:12:59 -0500

Teen not only votes but runs for office in first election

Oct. 28, 2004	 News media contact:   Tim  Tanton * (615) 7425470*
Nashville {04503}

NOTE: A photograph and UMTV report are available at http://umns.umc.org.

A UMNS Feature
By Wally Athey*

Devin Mauney turned 18 years old on Sept. 11 and is looking forward to voting
in his first presidential election Nov. 2.

He is thrilled to be able to cast his first congressional ballot in Tucson,
Ariz., but more important, he will go to his polling place that Tuesday
morning and see his own name on the ballot.

University High School senior Devin Mauney is also "School Board Candidate
Devin Mauney" for the Tucson Unified School District. He is one of eight
candidates on the ballot running to fill three school board positions.

"I believe there needs to be a student voice on the board," says Mauney, who
filed his nomination petitions in July. "Issues that affect students' lives,
their curriculum, and their schools need to be looked at from a student's
perspective."

Much of his inspiration comes from volunteering at Christ Church United
Methodist in Tucson since the early '90s.

"Devin was always a leader among the youth..." says the Rev. Rebecca Oakes
Long, his pastor for seven years. "He's well liked. And he has great respect
for adults."  As a pre-teen, he sang in the youth choir and currently plays
saxophone in the Praise Team on Sunday mornings.

"As his spiritual life deepened, Devin matured with a self-reliance and keen
sense of the political," Long says.

Mauney is a member of the United Methodist Commission on Communication, was a
delegate to the 2004 Western Jurisdictional Conference, and represented the
jurisdiction at the United Methodist Youth Organization meeting in Nashville,
Tenn., this year. He was in Pittsburgh when the 2004 General Conference
approved creation of the Division on Ministries with Young People.

Mauney's candidacy has generated an unusual amount of local news media
coverage.  A newspaper story in the Arizona Daily Star plus exposure on the
local network television stations has given him more visibility than any of
the other candidates. "I think I can win, and I think I can make a difference
for all the students," he says. The Tucson Unified School District has more
than 120 schools with more than 60,000 students.

"I've been going to all the meetings that even some of the candidates don't
end up at and some of the incumbents don't end up at," Mauney says. "I'm just
trying to hear what's going on in the district and what people need for the
district."

The support of his mother, Meleah Whetstone, and brother, Logan Mauney, has
been critical. "They're really involved with the campaign," Devin says. "I
know I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing without them."

If elected, Mauney will stay in Tucson to attend the University of Arizona,
where he already has a scholarship. If not, he'll consider attending
out-of-state schools. The school board is facing some major decisions,
including replacing a superintendent who resigned under pressure this year.

*Athey is director of communications for the United Methodist Church's Desert
Southwest Annual Conference.

News media contact: Tim Tanton, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470 or
newsdesk@umcom.org.