From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Joint Declaration: A Milestone in Ecumenical Development but

From "Frank Imhoff" <Frank.Imhoff@elca.org>
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2004 07:47:51 -0600

Joint Declaration: A Milestone in Ecumenical Development but Not the Final
Goal
Lutherans and Catholics Celebrate Fifth Anniversary of the Joint Declaration
in South Africa

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa/GENEVA, 31 October 2004 (LWI) - "The doctrine of
justification has divided us for almost 500 years, bringing great suffering
to individuals and to many of the peoples of Europe. Through our missionary
work we even exported our differences to other continents," Walter Cardinal
Kasper, President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity
(PCPCU), said in his keynote address at an ecumenical seminar, 30 October,
that was part of celebrations to mark the fifth anniversary of the Joint
Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification (JDDJ) in Johannesburg, South
Africa.

In light of this disunity, both Kasper and Rev. Dr Ishmael Noko, General
Secretary of the Lutheran World Federation (LWF) and second keynote speaker
at the event, stressed that the achievement of the JDDJ, signed by the LWF
and Roman Catholic Church on 31 October 1999 in Augsburg, Germany,
represented one of the boldest ecumenical developments in modern church
history.

The JDDJ is so far the high point of a dialogue process that began in the
mid-sixties soon after the Second Vatican Council. By signing the
declaration, the two dialogue partners confirm that they have reached a
consensus on the basic truths regarding justification, and that the
condemnations of the 16th century Reformation do not apply to the teaching
presented in the JDDJ.

Kasper and Noko had traveled from Rome and Geneva respectively to South
Africa to share their joy of reaching this milestone in ecumenical
co-operation and to reflect on the way forward. The LWF general secretary
noted that the JDDJ had already led to a more relaxed attitude at different
levels of Lutheran-Catholic relationships all over the world. The PCPCU
president stressed that Lutherans and Catholics have finally reached "a
shared understanding of justification," and a "wise compromise" that focuses
on the essential issues of faith, salvation and grace. "We have reached an
important staging post but are not yet at the final goal," he said.

Both keynote speakers stressed the need to translate the doctrine of
justification into the language of today. "The doctrine of justification is
not very well known, even among active church members," Noko remarked in his
address, "but Gods divine gift to us of justice by grace has implications
for our human practices of social justice."

One reason for this celebration to take place in South Africa was that the
message of justification was central to overcoming the ideology of apartheid
ten years ago, Noko said. "It sets us free to be who we are * free from the
bondage of oppression by others, from self-righteousness, and from the
temptation to give up in resignation." The message of justification also
stated that "we need not prove ourselves in order to be acceptable to God or
each other," the LWF general secretary noted. "In the name of Gods gift of
justification by grace and faith alone I say: Never accept anyone telling you
that you are not worthy, on the basis that you are a woman, a young person or
an older person!" he emphasized.

Noko conceded that the JDDJ has not fully drawn the consequences of the
agreements reached. "We must allow some time for the ripe fruits of this
beautiful tree to be harvested," he said. "The most important thing is that
we now really have a common expression of points of faith."

Kasper in his address named some points of what would still have to be
developed further. First of all, one would have to review the questions that
have been left open after the "Joint Declaration," such as the link of
justification with baptism and the Eucharist, as well as with the issue of
church ministry, the ministry of bishops in apostolic succession, and the
Petrine ministry.

The PCPCU president furthermore shared his observation that the question of
justification seemed to be no longer an existential problem for Christians
today, in the way it was for Martin Luther 500 years ago. "We have thus to
translate both the questions and answers of the past into the language and
problematic of today, so that our language will touch and hit again our
deepest experiences and discover anew the deep meaning of justification. Let
us ask: What does it mean to believe to be saved and redeemed? What does this
imply for our personal and our common life?" Both speakers expressed the hope
that the JDDJ would be the foundation for further dialogue that would
spiritually enrich Lutherans and Catholics alike.

The Lutheran Communion in Southern Africa and the Southern African Catholic
Bishops Conference hosted the ecumenical seminar. It was attended by
archbishops and bishops, principals of theological seminaries, lecturers and
students of theology, and pastors from Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and
Zimbabwe. (809 words)

(By Namibian-based LWI correspondent Erika von Wietersheim.)

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran
tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund, Sweden, the LWF currently has 138 member
churches in 77 countries all over the world, with a membership of nearly 65
million Lutherans. The LWF acts on behalf of its member churches in areas of
common interest such as ecumenical and inter-faith relations, theology,
humanitarian assistance, human rights, communication, and the various aspects
of mission and development work. Its secretariat is located in Geneva,
Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the LWF's information service. Unless
specifically noted, material presented does not represent positions or
opinions of the LWF or of its various units. Where the dateline of an article
contains the notation (LWI), the material may be freely reproduced with
acknowledgment.]

LWI online at: http://www.lutheranworld.org/News/Welcome.EN.html

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION
PO Box 2100, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Tel: (41.22) 791.63.54
Fax: (41.22) 791.66.30
Editor's e-mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org