From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

African Bishops' Conference set to open in Nigeria

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:51:06 -0800

ACNS 3905     |     AFRICA     |     26 OCTOBER 2004

African Bishops' Conference set to open in Nigeria

By Justus Waimiri

[Council of Anglican Provinces of Africa] More than 300 bishops and
delegates are expected at the first-ever Africa Anglican Bishops
Conference that opens October 26 in Lagos, Nigeria.

The venue of the conference, Archbishop Vining Memorial Church
Cathedral, was awash with activity as bishops began arriving from
various parts of Africa yesterday. Bishops from Kenya, Uganda and Zambia
who had travelled on a Kenya Airways flight were however stranded for
more than five hours at the Murtala Mohammed Airport after their luggage
failed to arrive.

Speaking at a press briefing today, Archbishop Peter Akinola, the
Primate of Nigeria and Chairman of the Council of Anglican Provinces of
Africa (CAPA), said Nigerian President Chief Olusegun Obasanjo would
officially open the conference on Wednesday, October 27.

He said the participants would then break into workshops that will
discuss at length key issues including poverty, disease, holistic gospel
proclamation, Anglican identity, church and state relations, women and
youth affairs, and leadership crisis in the church.

He expressed great hope that after the weeklong meeting realistic and
actionable plans would be drawn for the Anglican Church in Africa.

Archbishop Henry Orombi of Uganda said the Church in Africa would
continue to speak in a loud voice about various injustices and human
rights abuses in Africa. "Our church will never be quiet on any form of
injustice," he said.

The primates agreed that the conflict in the Darfur region of Sudan
would feature during the conference and noted that the primate of Sudan,
Archbishop Joseph Marona, would update the gathering on the situation.

Anglican Church of Kenya head, Archbishop Benjamin Nzimbi, said
corruption was a major problem in Africa and called on African
governments to minimize and eventually stamp out corruption saying it
was responsible for the low living standards of the people. "During this
meeting we will implore our governments to treat our people well and we
trust they will listen," he said.

Justus Waimiri is communications officer for the Council of Anglican
Provinces of Africa.