From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 04525-Church leaders address violence in Liberia

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:39:04 -0600

Church leaders address violence in Liberia

Nov. 8, 2004	 News media contact:   Linda  Bloom * (646) 3693759*  New
York {04525}

NOTE: Related resources are available at http://umns.umc.org.

NEW YORK (UMNS) - Interfaith leaders helped restore calm after a recent
eruption of violence in Liberia, according to humanitarian sources.

After the late October burning of several churches, mosques and schools in
the
Redlight and Jacob Town areas outside Monrovia, Christian and Muslim
religious leaders quickly met, then visited five area radio stations and in
broadcasts called for calm and cessation to further violence and burnings.
The leaders also met with United Nations
Mission in Liberia officials, who then increased security in the affected
areas, according to Benjamin Dorme Lartey, head of the Liberian Council of
Churches.

The source of the violence, initially reported as possible Muslim-Christian
conflicts, has now been attributed to other disputes. "We nonetheless commend
the Liberian Council of Churches and the Inter-Religious Council of Liberia
for taking the lead in helping end this unrest and averting the development
of future conflict between Muslims and Christians," said Moses Ole Sakuda,
associate director of the Church World Service Mission Relationships and
Witness Program.

"I just don't know what triggered the recent fighting," said Liberian United
Methodist Bishop John G. Innis, while in the United States for a Council of
Bishops meeting Oct. 30-Nov. 5. "Conflict or war is like a disease . . . it
comes, but it takes time for healing to take place, so we are of the opinion
in Christ that the situation will one day come under control. There will be
total peace in our country, but before peace comes, we have to go through
some tough times."

Despite the new violence, the United Methodist Committee on Relief continues
the demobilization of former soldiers without interruption. At camps near the
city -- established in March with a grant from the United Nations Development
Program -- the United Methodist humanitarian aid agency has supervised
activities leading to the reintegration of some 23,000 combatants who fought
in the 14-year civil war. While activity at one camp has concluded, UMCOR
officials said a second camp would remain open until March 2005.

Demobilization is critical in stabilizing and reintegrating ex-combatants
who, through Liberia's years of turmoil, may have known little outside of
life as members of a violent fighting force. The term "ex-combatant" refers
to former soldiers as well as to cooks, porters, and others who accompanied
them, often by force, during the civil crisis in
Liberia.

Camp activities are geared to prepare residents for next steps in their
return home. Following their stay at the camp, participants move on to job
and skills training and other aspects of their reentry into community life.
UMCOR also won a U.N. grant to offer vocational training to about 1,300
former soldiers.

Contributions to UMCOR's work in Liberia should be designated for Advance
#150300, Liberia Emergency. Donations can be dropped in church collection
plates or mailed to UMCOR at 475 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10115. Donors
making credit card donations may call toll free (800) 554-8580.

News media contact: Linda Bloom7(646)369-37597New York7 E-mail:
newsdesk@umcom.org.