From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan Scholars Critique Taiwan-America Relations

From "pctpress" <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:34:58 +0800

Taiwan Church News 2750, 8 to 14 November 2004
Reported by Li Hsin-ren & Chen-Yi Shiuan.  Trans. & rewritten by David
Alexander

The results of the American Presidential election have been announced, and
George W. Bush has won another term.  Lai Yi-chung, a member of Taipei's
First
Presbyterian Church and director of the International Services Section of the
Taiwan Talent Bank believes that no matter how the American political system
might change, Taiwan still must continue to operate by democratic and human
rights principles as it seeks to improve its international image.  "The
churches of Taiwan can speak to the world about Taiwan's democracy and
international situation, and spread the news of our democratic values to
every
corner of Asia."
   Mr. Lai says that the expected attitudes of Mr. Bush and his Republican
party towards Taiwan are friendly. But in the wake of the American led war on
Iraq, many anti-war church members, the Freedom faction of Taiwan's People
First Party and humanist thinkers here were drawn to oppose the Americans.
They criticized Mr. Bush's administration, calling on it to set aside
"left-right" divisions and to look at matters one by one, not making snap
decisions.
  Looking at the Bush administration's record since its inception in 2001,
Mr.
Lai sees "Do what you say" as its greatest theme.  Mr. Bush vowed to continue
on the path towards missile defense. If he is going to make good on his
promise to "do what you say", we can expect some action in this area in the
next four years.
  The attitudes taken by Mr. Bush on the questions of homosexuality, stem
cell
research and abortion were certainly more conservative than those taken by
his
opponent. But Mr. Lai notes that the opinions of the people of America on
these issues are more complex. The existence of equal human rights for
homosexual people is a demonstration of the influence this group has had on
America as a whole. Regarding stem cell research and other issues of
technological theory and social changes there are also serious debates that
do
not yield to simple solutions. Lai urges church groups in Taiwan to
forthrightly take up discussions on the issues of new technologies.
   "Insofar as we can speak of Taiwan, it doesn't matter what America's
attitude is. For so long as Taiwan continues to operate democratically the
most important thing is showing the results of our democracy to the world.
We
must let the entire world know how human rights have taken root here. The
churches of Taiwan must strive to point this out to the world. A democratic
Taiwan alienated from the world is an unreasonable phenomenon. A Taiwan
spreading democratic values throughout Asia is necessary."
   The Rev. Dr. Huang Po-ho, president of Tainan Theological College and
Seminary (an agency of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan), believes that two
features of the American election lay special claim to the attention of
Taiwan's people. "Because Mr. Kerry obtained only a minority of the votes he
was not able to become president, but his mature, confident and democratic
demeanor should be studied by us.  Secondly, many of Taiwan's people are
relatively at ease with Mr. Bush's comparative conservatism and strong
character, but that may hide a lurking danger. We need to be wary because of
the things Mr. Powell recently said in Beijing." Dr. Huang calls on the
church
to stand on its faith, maintain a critical distance and care about the
security of people over the security of nations.
He says, "Since the events of September 11, 2001, American hegemony has
become
ever more apparent. The world is seen as either 'with or against' America.
Those who are not friends are seen as enemies. Only those who join with
America are friends.  Taiwan's place in this arrangement is not fixed."
Because of this, Dr. Huang says that since Taiwan cannot avoid entanglement
with America, the church has an important role to play in speaking to the
situation and the future nature of Taiwan-American relations from a
standpoint
of faith. "We can learn from experience not to attempt to win by force. An
independent, sovereign and 'friendly to the world' Taiwan is our road to
life."

For More Information:
Taipei First Presbyterian Church fstchurch@yahoo.com.tw
Huang Po-ho  pekho@bbs.ttcs.org.tw
Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw