From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Church of Burundi statement on the Windsor Report

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:58:00 -0800

ACNS 3911     |     BURUNDI	|     12 NOVEMBER 2004

Episcopal Church of Burundi statement on the Windsor Report

November 8, 2004

[EEB Press] The Episcopal Church of Burundi wishes to express
appreciation for the Windsor Report, and to congratulate the Lambeth
Commission that produced it. It is an interesting, coherent, and
sensitive report that challenges the Communion to dialogue
constructively as a way forward.

The Episcopal Church of Burundi remains totally committed to the
Anglican Communion and will continue to endeavour to "keep the unity of
the Spirit through the bond of peace" (Ephesians 4 v 3). We should
always be mindful of the Gospel imperative to maintain unity and
communion that is rooted in truth and love.

We are called to be a "holy, catholic and apostolic" church and to
affirm the authority of Scripture and the traditional teachings of the
Church. Though we recognise the principle of unity in diversity,
Scripture should remain our guide in all matters of ethics and decision
making. We affirm the autonomous status of each Province. However,
decisions taken by individual Provinces should not impair the unity that
we enjoy within the Communion. As has become apparent, we ignore
Biblical teaching, the Apostolic Faith, and Church practice at our
peril, and compromise the cohesion of our communion.

We regret the unilateral decisions that have proved so divisive and have
polarised Christians and threatened the future of the Anglican
Communion. These decisions have also threatened relationships with other
denominations, and the mission and witness of the Church in a world that
is already confused in areas of sexuality, morality and theology.

All through the debate on human sexuality the Episcopal Church of
Burundi has prayerfully encouraged unity, understanding and dialogue
within the household of God. As human beings we are all vulnerable to
sin. As Christians we are called to exercise the love of Christ in all
our relationships and to pray with love that the Spirit of God will
change the sinner who repents. We acknowledge the importance of care and
compassion for all members of the Church and the need for a pastoral
response to the many within the Church who struggle with issues relating
to sexuality, especially those who feel isolated, and fear rejection and
loneliness.

The recent African Anglican Bishops' Conference in Nigeria rightly
emphasised that there are many issues currently concerning the Church,
and especially the Church in Africa. As those called to mission in the
world, we need to show a willingness to join together in the work of the
Kingdom. We should encourage one another to share the resources that God
has entrusted to us, whether they are human, material or financial, for
the benefit of all.

Finally, we heed the call to seek reconciliation and healing, and to
find ways to walk together in a way that honours the name of Christ whom
we seek to serve.

Issued: Bujumbura 3 November 2004

The Most Revd Samuel Ndayisenga
Archbishop of Burundi

distributed to more than 7,500 journalists and other readers around
the world.