From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[AACC] War in Cote d Ivoire Threatens Peace in West and Central

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:28:14 -0800

PRESS RELEASE ON THE WAR IN COTE D'IVOIRE

All Africa Conference of Churches
www.aacc-ceta.org
Tel: 254 - 20 - 4441483, 4441338/9 7 Fax: 254 - 20- 4443241, 4445835
Email: secretariat@aacc-ceta.org

General Secretariat: Waiyaki Way, P.O. Box 14205 , 00800 Westlands,
Nairobi, Kenya

The War in Cote d Ivoire Threatens Peace in West Africa and Central Africa

By Polycarp Omolo Ochilo
AACC Executive Secretary for International Affairs

Nairobi, November 14 - The on-going war in Cote d Ivoire seriously
threatens the prevailing fragile peace in Liberia, Sierra Leone and
Guinea.  The All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC) General Secretary
Rev. Dr. Mvume Dandala has said.  Africa, he said, has held her breath for
some time now, that these countries will not erupt into war again!  But ,
he said, we were wrong again!  War has erupted again in Cote d Ivoire .

Recalling his recent Pastoral visit to Sierra Leone and Liberia last month,
he said he saw hope, healing, and firm commitment for the attainment of a
lasting peace from the citizens of these countries.  This he said, is the
momentum that other African countries and the International Community
should seize and hold on to very firmly.  These countries, others in Africa
and the rest of the world , he said, need peace rather than war period!!

Over 27 people have so far been killed in Cote d Ivoire since the war
erupted.  The number includes 10 French nationals killed in the air strike
by the Cote d Ivoire s Air Force.  It is also estimated that over 1000
people have so far been wounded, and 37 Cote d Ivoire loyalists, according
to the presidential spokesman Alain Toussaint, have been killed.

Dr. Dandala, on behalf of the 170 member churches of the AACC expressed his
gratitude to the quick response by the Chairperson of the African Union who
is also the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency
General Olesegun Obasanjo in mediating for peace in Cote d Ivoire.  He also
paid similar tribute to the South African President Thabo Mbeki for similar
efforts.  The AACC membership he said, supports fully these initiatives as
the only way for the achievement of a lasting peace.  He further called for
the continued combined efforts towards peace by citizens from these
countries, other countries from the rest of Africa, the church in Africa
and the international community as well.

He called on the people of Cote d Ivoire to give peace a chance and urged
them to offer God s love and friendship to each other as citizens of one
country and children of God.  In war, he said we kill each other, destroy
civilizations, undermine our dignity, spirituality, and we plant seeds of
hate, distrust and hopelessness among our people.  We must, as Africans,
refuse the road to war, rather we must opt for positive hope, lasting peace
and God s love for all .

Dr. Dandala added that, it is time for African people to refuse war and
reject leaders who promote war.  We must opt for democratic and peaceful
ways to power.	This he said is one of the surest ways of ensuring that our
governments become accountable to our people and respect for the sanctity
of human life as God so desired.  Africa must lay firm foundations of peace
now that we shall bequeath our children of tomorrow and not the culture of
corruption, greed and senseless wars.  The church in Africa is called upon
to use her prophetic voice in ensuring that peace prevails in Africa.

Dr. Dandala regretted that religious conflicts between the Christians and
Muslims led to the deaths of people and destruction of churches and
mosques.  He said, the firm faith-based foundations that have worked so
well for Christians and Muslims in Liberia must not be destroyed.  These
instruments have served the people of Liberia so well that we cannot accept
voices of destruction and wars to overshadow them.  Christians and Muslims
must accept to live together in this shared world.  This is God s will.

Dr. Dandala was reacting to the events in Africa while in the United States
of America.  His visit in the U.S.A. to meet with AACC Partners in the
U.S.A., Heads of Churches and Civil Society groups was arranged by the
Church World Service (New York office).  He proceeds to London for similar
engagements next week before returning to the AACC headquarters in Nairobi.

The All Africa Conference of Churches is a fellowship of 169 member
Churches and Christian Councils in 39 African Countries.

Akinyi Lucy Ogot
AACC Communications and Advocacy Office,
Email:	infodesk@aacc-ceta.org