From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[GOAA] ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS MEETS WITH COLIN POWELL

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:58:21 -0800

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org
Email: communications@goarch.org

   For Immediate Release
   November 15, 2004

   Contact:  Nikki Stephanopoulos

   ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS MEETS WITH
   SECRETARY OF STATE COLIN POWELL AND OTHER
   STATE DEPARTMENT OFFICIALS

   New York, NY - His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America today led a
   delegation of representatives from several Greek American organizations
   to the State Department for a meeting with Under Secretary for Political
   Affairs Marc Grossman.  At the meeting, substantive discussions took
   place concerning the recognition by the United States of the Former
   Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (F.Y.R.O.M.) as "Republic of Macedonia".
   Immediately following, Archbishop Demetrios met privately with Secretary
   of State Colin Powell for the same issue.

   In both meetings, U.S. officials expressed their clear position for the
   support of the  existing United Nations' process in finding a name that
   will be commonly acceptable.

   After his meeting with Secretary of State Powell, Archbishop Demetrios
   said, "We had  very good meetings with Under Secretary Grossman and with
   Secretary of State Powell.  Both listened to us carefully and they have
   full knowledge of the difficulties and the pain which have been caused to
   the Greek Orthodox Community in America and to the people of Greece.
   They promised that they will work towards the final solution and the
   overcoming of the problem which has been created.  We believe in the
   power of God's intervention in difficulties, and while we pray fervently,
   we continue in every humanly possible way to offer as much as we can."

   The Archbishop was accompanied by Andrew Athens, President of the World
   Council of Hellenes Abroad (SAE) and National Chairman of the United
   Hellenic American Congress (UHAC);  Sotirios Proios, Supreme President of
   the Pan-Macedonian Association USA;	Franklin Manios, Supreme President
   of the American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association (AHEPA);
   and Michael Jaharis, Vice Chairman of the Archdiocesan Council.