From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MCC's Rev. Dr. Troy Perry on "Transgender Day of Remembrance"

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:21:27 EST

A Statement From  The Reverend Dr. Troy D. Perry
Founder and Moderator of  Metropolitan Community Churches

_info@MCCchurch.org_ (mailto:info@MCCchurch.org)     .	 _www.MCCchurch.org_
(http://www.MCCchurch.org)

On The	Observance of Transgender Day of Remembrance
November 20, 2004

Today, I am inviting all people of  goodwill around the globe to join in the
observance of Transgender Day of  Remembrance on Saturday, November 20, 2004.

Transgender Day of  Remembrance has become an annual international event and
an effective way of  raising public awareness of the ongoing plight of hate
crimes against our  transgender brothers and sisters.

The reality is that vicious hate crimes  are regularly committed against
transgender persons. In fact, over the past  decade the statistics have been
consistent: On average, one transgender person	has been the victim of a hate
crime
murder every single month over the past 10  years. The impact of these
figures is staggering and reminds us that John Donne  was correct: The death
of any
one of us diminishes all of us.

These  tragedies are further compounded by the fact that these hate crimes
and deaths  too often have received little public attention and virtually no
media  coverage.

Let me also say this: This annual day, the Transgender Day of  Remembrance,
is not only a day to mourn this loss, but also to remember that all  lives
are
sacred and of invaluable worth.

Metropolitan Community Churches  around the world must continue to be safe
and welcoming places for all of God's  children, including our transgender
brothers and sisters. From MCC's founding,  we have been committed to
providing
places of acceptance and celebration for  people who have experienced all
forms
of rejection by families, society and  other faith communities -- and for
people who wish to live fully open and	authentic lives.

Did you know that in most countries of the world,  transgender persons have
even less legal rights than gays and lesbians? While  great strides have been

made in many places to include protections based on  sexual orientation,
these
laws often do not provide legal protections based on  gender variance to
protect our transgender sisters and brothers.

As part  of our commitment to Christian social action, I call upon all people

of  faith to work for anti-discrimination laws which will provide protections

 based upon both sexual orientation and gender variation.

/signed/
Rev.  Troy D. Perry
MCC Founder and Moderator

P.S. Excellent information and	resources on the Transgender Day of
Remembrance can be found at _http://www.gender.org/remember/day/how.html_
(http://www.gender.org/remember/day/how.html) , including  information on
local events,
sample press releases, and poems and music suitable  for public services and
programs.

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:
Jim Birkitt, MCC Communications Director
8704 Santa Monica  Boulevard, Second Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310)  360-8640, Ext. 226
E-Mail: info@MCCchurch.org
Website: _www.MCCchurch.org_