From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Vice President Recounts Visit With West Bank Lutherans

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:03:45 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 16, 2004

ELCA Vice President Recounts Visit With West Bank Lutherans
04-215-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Carlos Pena, vice president of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and chair of the
ELCA Church Council, told the council about a one-week tour of
Israel and the West Bank that he took in September.  The ELCA
Division for Global Mission organized the visit to focus "on
people living in severe need and the primary factors that cause
those needs."
     The Church Council is the ELCA's board of directors and
serves as the legislative authority of the church between
churchwide assemblies.	The council met here Nov. 11-15.
Assemblies are held every other year; the next is Aug. 8-14,
2005, in Orlando, Fla.
     "I ask you to continue to hold our Palestinian brothers and
sisters in your prayers as they endure this difficult time,"
Pena told the council.	He was referring to the mourning and
political change following the Nov. 11 death of Yasser Arafat,
president of the Palestinian Authority.
     In his written report to the council, Pena, Galveston,
Texas, described the trip he took with a dozen other people,
including Earl L. Mummert, council member, Harrisburg, Pa.
     "I have to admit I went with some preconceived ideas about
what I thought was occurring in that part of the world," Pena
wrote. "Was I wrong."
     "There are a few words that best describe my emotions during
the time I spent in Palestine.	I was outraged, saddened,
overwhelmed, proud and hopeful.  It was such a range of emotions
that it took me a while to sort them out," Pena said.
     "The media really don't do a fair enough job of reporting
the conditions" in the Occupied Territories, he said.  "I came to
the conclusion that the news we receive has been filtered and
presents only one side of the issues."
     "Not only must (the Palestinians) endure physical barriers,
such as the separation wall that divides families from other
family members, schools, health care and their farmland, but also
mental barriers such as discrimination," Pena said. "They live
among blown out and destroyed rubble that serves as a constant
reminder of a government's power over them -- a government in
which they have little or no say."
     "While it seems almost impossible to think of a peaceful and
just solution ever occurring in that part of the world, we must
remember it is a matter of justice and human rights for all of
God's people, and with God, nothing is impossible," Pena said.
     "I was incredibly proud to be a Lutheran and to see and hear
firsthand the ministry of our counterparts in that area," he
said.  In Jerusalem "our delegation visited Augusta Victoria
Hospital and witnessed the healing ministry provided there
through the Lutheran World Federation.	We worshiped at churches
in the area, such as the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer.  We
watched children and young adults being taught in Lutheran
schools, such as the Lutheran Church of Hope School in Ramallah,"
Pena said.
     "I was hopeful that we can continue to focus on our mission
and not be swayed or bogged down by issues that are not at the
core of our ministry.  If we are to step forward as a public
church, then we must move toward a just solution that treats all
of God's children in a fair and just manner. With God, there is
always hope," he said.
     Pena wrote that, when he became involved in the ELCA's work
in east Texas, "I got my first real glimpse of the church beyond
my congregation.  I thought that was pretty eye-opening and felt
a connection to a broader group."
     "When I became involved with the churchwide organization, I
was in awe of the connectedness of Lutherans across the country,"
he said.
     "Again God is opening my eyes and making me see the
possibilities of the work of the Lutheran church in another, even
broader, sense.  The chance to witness the work of the global
church is such a humbling thought to me.  I was beyond grateful
for this opportunity," Pena said.
-- -- --
     Issues involving the Middle East are featured at
http://www.elca.org/middleeast/ on the ELCA Web site.
     Information about Carlos Pena is at
http://www.elca.org/pena.html on the Web.

For information contact: