From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

All Africa Conference of Churches to UN on Sudan

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:50:48 -0800

All Africa Conference of Churches
www.aacc-ceta.org
Tel: 254 - 20 - 4441483, 4441338/9 " Fax: 254 - 20- 4443241, 4445835
Email: secretariat@aacc-ceta.org
General Secretariat: Waiyaki Way,
P.O. Box 14205, 00800 Westlands,
Nairobi, Kenya

November 15th 2004

	The Security Council
	United Nations, New York

RE:	SUDAN

On behalf of the 170 Member Churches and the Presidium of the All Africa
Conference of Churches across the continent of Africa, we wish to take this
momentous time in our History firstly, to welcome the entire delegation of
the Security Council to Kenya.	Secondly, we wish to congratulate the
entire membership of the Security Council for choosing to meet in Africa
for the first time, to discuss the situation in the Sudan.  Your
Excellencies, this is a fitting testimony of the Security Councils' deep
concern with the long war in the Southern Sudan that has been going on for
over 38 years.

This conflict has led to the deaths of over 2 million Southern Sudanese
with many more living in intolerable and inhuman conditions as Uprooted
People.  Whereas, many more are languishing inside the Sudan as Internally
Displaced Persons.

The effects of conflicts have now extended to Darfur Region.  It is
estimated that about one million people have so far fled their homes into
neighbouring country - Chad.  Whereas, over 50,000 have been killed.  Their
homes and sources of livelihood have also been destroyed.

Your Excellencies, the church in Africa have and continue to journey with
the oppressed people of the Southern Sudan.  The Church has and continues
to stand in solidarity with them.  The churches have continued to speak out
on behalf of the people of Sudan in general, particularly in the
marginalized areas - as Individual Institutions, or through the World
Council of Churches, the All Africa Conference of Churches, the Fellowship
of Christian Councils & Churches in the Great Lakes & the Horn of Africa
and through our collective international instrument - The Sudan Ecumenical
Forum.

The Church in Africa, therefore wish to raise the following fundamental
concerns regarding the situation in the Sudan for your deliberations and
ratifications.

1.	That it is in the interest of the People of the Sudan, the
International
Community and the Church in Africa that the Security Council puts her
utmost and unequivocal pressure on all the parties of the peace process in
the Sudan to find a lasting solution to the conflicts in Sudan and to
achieve a just and sustainable peace.
2.	That the final comprehensive peace agreement be signed and its
implementations be witnessed and guaranteed by the International Community.
3.	That Good Governance be established throughout the Sudan to allow
groups
of the Civil Society to play their full part in building a Culture for Peace.
4.	That the International Community through the United Nations and
African
Union be mandated to provide mechanism for peace keeping and to ensure the
smooth Implementations of the Peace Agreement in the South and the Darfur
Regions respectively.

We pray God's blessing and guidance on your deliberations.  We offer our
readiness for continued engagements and support of this process on behalf
of the people, the Churches in Africa and on behalf of our International
partners.

Yours sincerely,

Rev. Dr. Mvume Dandala						Dr. Agnes
Abuom
General Secretary							WCC
Africa
All Africa Conference of Churches				President
Nairobi, Kenya							Nairobi,
Kenya

Cc	To all Ambassadors of the Permanent Representatives of the Permanent
Five Delegations in the Council.
	Permanent Representatives of the Elected Ten Delegations in the
Council
	All our Partners
	All Members of the Presidium
	All Heads of Churches in Africa
	All General Secretaries of National Christian Councils in Africa