From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC's Edgar Hails U.S. Catholic Bishops' Agreement to Join

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:59:09 -0800

NCC's Edgar Hails U.S. Catholic Bishops' Agreement to Join Christian
Churches Together in the U.S.A.

November 18, 2004, New York City -- NCC General Secretary Bob Edgar
welcomed the U.S. Catholic Bishops' decision Nov. 17 to join Christian
Churches Together in the U.S.A. (CCT), an effort to bring Catholics,
evangelical and mainline Protestants, and Orthodox Christians around a
common table for the first time.

CCT is a new forum for leaders of the nation's churches to discuss topics
of common interest and grow in their relationships with one another -- more
a place to be together than to act together, Dr. Edgar noted.

The NCCB initiated theB exploration of such a forum in 2001 and has
continued as a key supporter of the CCT initiative, encouraging its 36
participating churches (denominations) to pursue the concept.

"The NCC and CCT are complementary," Edgar noted.   "Many of the NCC's 36
member churches are joining CCT -- an important step forward in broadening
ecumenical fellowship -- while affirming their strong support of the NCC
and its ongoing diverse program, which includes theological discussion,
Bible translation, communication, education, interfaith relations and
advocacy on behalf of critical issues of justice and peace."

According to Religion News Service, Bishop Stephen Blaire of Stockton,
Calif., who chairs the Catholic Bishops' ecumenical committee, said CCT is
"not to create another kind of National Council of Churches.... It's a
forum for participation so we can pray together, grow in our understanding
together and witness together our faith in whatever way is possible in our
society."

-end-

National Council of Churches USA
475 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10115