From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Marshall Named President of Central Baptist Seminary

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Rich.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:59:20 -0500

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 11/29/04)--The Rev. Dr.
Molly T. Marshall, professor of theology and spiritual formation and acting
academic dean at Central Baptist Theological Seminary, Kansas City, Kans.,
has been named president of that school.

Central's Board of Directors, at its recent biannual meeting, unanimously
elected Marshall.  She will assume her new duties Jan. 1, 2005.

Marshall has served at Central for the past nine years.  Previously she was
associate professor of theology and associate dean at the School of
Theology/The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Ky.  She also
has been a youth minister, campus minister and pastor in churches in
Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas and Kentucky.

Marshall is the author of What It Means to be Human, Joining the Dance: A
Theology of the Spirit and No Salvation Outside the Church.  She also is a
nationally recognized lecturer at colleges, universities and other
seminaries.

She recently served as president of the National Association of Baptist
Professors of Religion and currently is on the editorial board of the
American Baptist Quarterly.

Marshall will be the preacher for the evening worship on July 2, 2005 at the
American Baptist Churches USA Biennial Meeting in Denver.

Marshall holds the M.Div. and Ph.D. degrees from The Southern Baptist
Theological Seminary and has completed graduate work at the Tantur Ecumenical
Institute in Jerusalem, Cambridge University and Princeton Theological
Seminary.

In announcing Marshall's appointment, Central Board of Directors Chairman Don
Wissman said, "Dr. Marshall's love and devotion for theological education is
what convinced the committee that she is the right choice to lead the
seminary into a new era."

"I believe in what we do at Central as we seek God together," Marshall said.
"We are in the process of forming persons for transforming ministries, which
is at the heart of theological education.  I'm grateful for the trust and
confidence the board has given me to lead Central as a teaching church
seminary-realigning congregational life with theological education."

Central Baptist Theological Seminary, founded in 1901, is one of ten
theological schools related to American Baptist Churches USA through National
Ministries.

K/2004ABNS/04ABN134

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org