From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GOAA - ARCHONS PILGRIMAGE TO THE MOTHER CHURCH

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:49:31 -0800

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org
Email: communications@goarch.org

ARCHONS PILGRIMAGE TO THE MOTHER CHURCH

By Stavros Papagermanos
	 November 30, 2004

CONSTANTINOPLE - The 2004 Archon Pilgrimage to the Ecumenical Patriarchate
coincides with the unprecedented historical event of the restoration of the
holy relics of St. Gregory the Theologian and St. John Chrysostom to their
rightful place from which they were forcibly taken 800 years ago by the
Crusaders of the 4th Crusade in 1204.

The Archons of the Order of St. Andrew the Apostle arrived in
Constantinople Nov. 28 and were greeted at the airport by the Order's
National Commander Dr. Anthony Limberakis, Secretary John Halecky and the
Chairman of this year's Pilgrimage Alex Pritsos.

The pilgrimage to the monuments and treasures of the Mother Church of
Constantinople started immediately upon arrival with a visit to the
historic monastery of Chora, the Church of the Holy Savior of Chora (which
today is a museum), where the Archons had the opportunity to admire the
superb mosaics and frescoes that have recently been restored by the
Byzantine Institute of America.

The next stop was the Church of  Panagia of Blachernae, known as the
Aghiasma of the Theotokos, which is the place where the Akathist Hymn was
first chanted during the time of the Emperor Heraclius in 626 AD. The
pilgrims visited the newer surviving church where the holy water fountain
is housed. There they gathered in the center of the church and chanted
three times the Akathist Hymn: Ti Ypermaho.

Dr. Limberakis had the opportunity to welcome his fellow Archons and
pilgrims to what he described as a spiritual odyssey. "Thank you for taking
time to demonstrate our love and respect to our Ecumenical Patriarch, thank
you for being here so you can see and live the martyria and diakonia our
Patriarch, the Synod and the Church of Constantinople give on a daily
basis. You will be inspired and transformed by this experience," he said.

In the evening, His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America, who leads
this year's Archon pilgrimage, welcomed the participants during an
orientation dinner held at the hotel overlooking the Bosphorus.

George Demacopoulos, Assistant Professor of Historical Theology at Fordham
University who, through his research contributed to the return of the
relics, offered an enlightening overview of the lives and history of the
two Great Fathers of the Church, St. Gregory the Theologian and St. John
Chrysostom.

Archbishop Demetrios of America applauded the instrumental roles of
Professor Demacopoulos and Fr. Alexander Karloutsos in the work that
preceded the return of the relics and recognized "the tremendous work of
the Archons in advocating the important issues of religious freedoms for
our Ecumenical Patriarchate."

Monday, November 29, began with a visit to another famous and ancient
shrine of Constantinople, the Monastery Panagia of Zoodochos Peghe at
Balukli, located just outside the walls of the city. The pilgrims visited
the underground "Life-Giving Fountain" located under the icon of the Holy
Virgin.

The monastery compound includes many patriarchal graves including those of
Patriarchs Athenagoras and Dimitrios, of blessed memory. There, Archbishop
Demetrios, in the presence of all the pilgrims-, offered a trisagion
memorial service for Patriarch Athenagoras who had been his predecessor in
the Archdiocese of America.

A visit to the Balukli Home for the Aged followed, where the Archons had
the opportunity to meet many of the Greek Orthodox residents of the home.
The Order of St. Andrew and some individual pilgrims made monetary
offerings in support of the Patriarchal institution.

Early in the afternoon the group visited the Ecumenical Patriarchate in
Phanar. They were given a tour of the Patriarchal compound and the
Patriarchal Cathedral of St. George where His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios
of America presented to the pilgrims the holy relics of  St. Gregory the
Theologian and St. John Chrysostom. "Blessed are we who are able to
venerate and see these relics, these bones that held the flesh and the body
and the brain and the personality of these two Great Saints," said the
Archbishop.

Immediately following the Archons were welcomed by His All Holiness
Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew in the room of the Throne.  His All
Holiness spoke of the edifying presence of Archbishop Demetrios as a member
of the Holy and Sacred Synod and he said "these days our love and prayers
are particularly with Metropolitan Anthony of San Francisco because he is
suffering?"

Speaking about the return of the relics the Patriarch noted the very
important contributions of Fr. Alexander Karloutsos and Prof. George
Demacopoulos to whom he offered as a token of appreciation an icon of St.
George.

"I express once again my genuine joy and satisfaction that you are here and
through you I express my gratitude to the whole Greek Orthodox Community in
America," said the Patriarch addressing the Archons.  He added: "We thank
the Archons and Dr. Limberakis personally for organizing this pilgrimage
and for proceeding to Ankara in order to support our issues and defend our
faith?"

The Archons reverently attended Great Vespers at the Patriarchal Cathedral
on the eve of the feast of their protector and founder of the Church of
Constantinople St. Andrew, the First-called Apostle.

In the evening His All Holiness hosted a dinner for the Archons and the
Vatican Delegation.

Get your first 10 digital prints or your first roll of film FREE at:
http://www.orthodoxphoto.com