From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Hobgood responds to television networks refusal to air UCCt ad

From "Wilma Shuffitt" <wshuffitt@cm.disciples.org>
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:29:19 -0500

Date: December 3, 2004
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Wanda Bryant Wills
Phone: 317-713-2492
E-mail: news@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

December 3, 2004

Leslie Moonves, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
CBS Television
51 W 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019

Dear Mr. Moonves:

As General Minister and President of the Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ), I wish to state my deep concern about your network's refusal
to air a 30-second television ad from the United Church of Christ
(UCC).

There is no question that the UCC produced a high-quality advertisement
designed to promote its welcoming stance toward everyone in the human
community.  The ad was also part of a well-thought out campaign to
create greater name recognition for the denomination.  The ad had been
test marketed in several U.S. markets earlier this year, and was highly
endorsed by those who viewed it.

It is troubling to think that a television network would attempt to
regulate the type of information that viewers can see by deeming what is
now being called the "bouncer" ad as "too controversial."  Your
network's refusal to air what is now being called the "bouncer" ad
appears to violate the First Amendment guarantee of freedom of speech
and freedom of religious expression.

The courts ruled more than 40 years ago during the civil right
struggles that the airwaves are public, not private property.
Communities cannot and should not be denied access to differing ideas
and outlooks. The media has a responsibility to provide information of
interest to a variety of publics.

As Christians, we are called to create a loving and spirit-filled
community of believers, which welcomes ALL people.  Our denomination,
comprised of 770,000 members, supports the UCC in its efforts to develop
creative, thought-provoking messages of evangelism.  The UCC has been a
long-time partner with our church in a variety of ways.  We share their
message of inclusiveness and belief in God's saving grace.  We ask
that you reconsider your opinion about the use of the ad and join with
those at a number of other networks who concur with the UCC that this
thought-provoking ad is worthy of public viewing.

In Christ's Service,

Wm. Chris Hobgood,
General Minister and President
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

***********************************

December 3, 2004

Robert Wright
President and Chief Executive Officer for NBC
30 Rockefeller Center
New York, NY 10112

Dear Mr. Wright:

As General Minister and President of the Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ), I wish to state my deep concern about your network's refusal
to air a 30-second television ad from the United Church of Christ
(UCC).

There is no question that the UCC produced a high-quality advertisement
designed to promote its welcoming stance toward everyone in the human
community.  The ad was also part of a well-thought out campaign to
create greater name recognition for the denomination.  The ad had been
test marketed in several U.S. markets earlier this year, and was highly
endorsed by those who viewed it.

It is troubling to think that a television network would attempt to
regulate the type of information that viewers can see.	Your network's
refusal to air what is now being called the "bouncer" ad appears to
violate the First Amendment guarantee of freedom of speech and freedom
of religious expression.

The courts ruled more than 40 years ago during the civil right
struggles that the airwaves are public, not private property.
Communities cannot and should not be denied access to differing ideas
and outlooks. The media has a responsibility to provide information of
interest to a variety of publics.

As Christians, we are called to create a loving and spirit-filled
community of believers, which welcomes ALL people.  Our denomination,
made up of 770,000 members, supports the UCC in its efforts to develop
creative, thought-provoking messages of evangelism.  The UCC has been a
long-time partner with our church in a variety of ways.  We share their
message of inclusiveness and belief in God's saving grace.  We ask
that you reconsider your opinion about the use of the ad and join with
those at a number of other networks who concur with the UCC that this
thought-provoking ad is worthy of public viewing.

In Christ's Service,

Wm. Chris Hobgood,
General Minister and President
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

wfn

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a
name of Letter to CBS 12.2.04.doc]

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a
name of Letter to NBC 12.2.04.doc]