From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christmas Message from LWF President Mark S. Hanson

From "Frank Imhoff" <Frank.Imhoff@elca.org>
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:44:40 -0600

Call to Sing the Angels' Song of Hope in Trembling and Weeping World
Christmas Message from LWF President Mark S. Hanson

GENEVA, 6 December 2004 (LWI) * This Christmas season, the Lutheran communion
offers a gift of renewed commitment "to sing the song of hope for people
everywhere," says the President of the Lutheran World Federation (LWF),
Bishop Mark S. Hanson in his Christmas Message.

The LWF President's message, addressed to members of the worldwide Lutheran
communion invites people to listen to the angels' song announcing the birth
of a Savior in a world that trembles and weeps over many acts of humanity
including genocide and environmental degradation, separation walls and
warring people, as well as exploitation and domination..

The LWF President reiterates the angels' song and God's love for the world
"as we bring water to the thirsty, food to the hungry, justice to those
treated unfairly, dignity to the victims, and hope for all creation through
the transforming message of salvation."

Hanson is presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
(173 words)

Full text of the Christmas Message from LWF President Mark S. Hanson follows:

Christmas 2004
Message from Bishop Mark S. Hanson
President of the Lutheran World Federation

Dear sisters and brothers in the worldwide Lutheran communion:

"For God so loved the world . . ." begins the familiar verse from the Gospel
of John.

Is it still true? Does God not see what humanity is doing to the world so
loved by God?  Is this world still loved by God as it trembles and weeps over
genocide and environmental degradation, separation walls and warring people,
exploitation and domination?

Listen.  The song of the angels interrupts our trembling and weeping,
announcing the birth of a Savior, praising God, and proclaiming peace on
earth.	The song of the angels becomes our song, and 65 million Lutheran
Christians throughout the world joyfully proclaim the Word become flesh.

We sing with joy and strength because God is present whenever the Word is
proclaimed and the bread and wine shared. We become Christ's Body in and for
the sake of the world.	We confess that the work and ways of God are revealed
most fully in Jesus Christ and acknowledge that Christ is revealed most
deeply in brokenness and suffering.

As we once again sing the angels' song this Christmas season, the gift we
offer as the Lutheran Communion is our renewed commitment to sing the song of
hope for people everywhere. We sing it as we bring water to the thirsty, food
to the hungry, justice to those treated unfairly, dignity to the victims, and
hope to all creation through the transforming message of salvation. God
indeed dwells with us, taking on the suffering of the world that God still
loves so well.

Let us together, each in our own language, sing the angels' song: "Glory to
God in the highest heaven and on earth peace among those whom he favors"
(Luke 2:14).

In God's grace,

Bishop Mark S. Hanson
President, The Lutheran World Federation

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran
tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund, Sweden, the LWF currently has 138 member
churches in 77 countries all over the world, with a membership of nearly 65
million Lutherans. The LWF acts on behalf of its member churches in areas of
common interest such as ecumenical and inter-faith relations, theology,
humanitarian assistance, human rights, communication, and the various aspects
of mission and development work. Its secretariat is located in Geneva,
Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the LWF's information service. Unless
specifically noted, material presented does not represent positions or
opinions of the LWF or of its various units. Where the dateline of an article
contains the notation (LWI), the material may be freely reproduced with
acknowledgment.]

LWI online at: http://www.lutheranworld.org/News/Welcome.EN.html

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION
PO Box 2100, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Tel: (41.22) 791.63.54
Fax: (41.22) 791.66.30
Editor's e-mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org