From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ALC Noticias Dec 12 04 Chile Peru Ecuador Brazil Argentina

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:23:27 -0800

ALC NEWS SERVICE
E-mail: director@alcnoticias.org

----------------
CONTENT

CHILE: Lutheran Church says that those who tortured must be individualized
PERU: Evangelical radio stations recipient of National Radio Coordinator
Award
ECUADOR: Today there is relief and hope in Uruguay, said Methodist leader
BRAZIL: Bishop Primate of the Episcopal Church suspends Council with the
diocese of Recife.
BRAZIL: Evangelicals call for more attention for AIDS
ARGENTINA: Message of Christian Churches for World AIDs Day

----------
CHILE
Lutheran Church says that those who tortured must be individualized

SANTIAGO, December 3 (ALC). Gloria Rojas, Pastor President of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Chile (IELCH) criticized the fact that "the
institutions ask the victims for forgiveness because this covers up the
individuals who are responsible for the barbarity."

In a statement related to the recent publication of a report from the
National Commission on Political Prison and Torture in Chile and
declarations made by the armed forces asking forgiveness for excesses,
Rojas affirmed "Individualizing those who committed these crimes and/or
were the intellectual authors, will make it possible to do justice."

"When I read or hear the discussions about who should ask for forgiveness
or when they should do so, I cannot avoid expressing the feeling that
asking for forgiveness is not done by decree, it is not organized, it is
not declared, asking for forgiveness emerges when one reflects on the acts
that have been carried out," said the President of the IELCH.

"History cannot be hidden. What has been public in the past few hours
confirms that. Years may pass but one way or another the truth will come to
light," she said.

The report, given to President Ricardo Lagos last Sunday contains testimony
from more than 35,000 people, children, women and men, living in Chile and
abroad who were submitted to torture and abuse during the Augusto Pinochet
dictatorship.

Of those 28,000 were accepted as valid testimony by the Commission. An
additional 7,000 did not fulfill the strict requirements established by the
Commission and will be submitted to review.

Pastor Rojas' declaration recalls that in those days Lutheran Bishop Helmut
Frenz, with other pastors, lay people and religious leaders created the
"Pro Peace Committee" "to receive the testimony and clamor of those who
felt the cruel lashings of evil."

This caused a division in the IELCH, which strongly marked the profile of
our service based on the prophetic voice, announcing the Word of God and
denouncing everything that goes against His will, said the pastor president.

In this time of Advent, we pray and await God's salvation manifested in
Jesus born in Bethlehem and we pray so that His peace fills our hearts and
so that his kingdom of justice and truth prevail over the rancor and
shadows of forgetfulness, concluded the declaration.

---------
PERU
Evangelical radio stations recipient of National Radio Coordinator Award

By  Rolando Pirez

LIMA, Dec 3 (ALC). The Amauta Evangelical Radio State received the annual
Eloy Arribas Alfaro award, granted by the National Radio Coordinator (CNR),
for its contribution to defending human rights in the most difficult era of
political violence and its contribution to local and regional development.

Amauta broadcasts from the city of Huanta, department of Ayacucho, 500
kilometers southeast of Lima. The zone was one of the hardest hit by
terrorist violence and the repressive action of the military in the 1980s
and 1990s.

The award ceremony took place in the Humanities Faculty at the Pontifical
Catholic University of Peru, during the "Right to Communication in the
Information Society" seminar, organized by the World Association for
Christian Communication -  WACC Latin America, with the presence of
communicators from the Andean region.

Similar prizes went to the daily El Comercio, for its contribution to the
democratic transition process and Professor Maria Teresa Quiroz, president
of the Latin American Federation of Social Communication Faculties
(FELAFACS) for her contribution to forming communicators and communication
research in Peru.

Demetria Montes, Director of the Amauta radio station, upon receiving the
award said "Radio Amauta has been characterized by using communication to
serve our people, we learned to live with our listeners in the midst of
adversity."

"This award encourages us and commits us to continue reaffirming the
defense and validation of human rights, in a solidarity commitment with our
people who still suffer but who have hope. In this way Radio Amauta seeks
to glorify the name of God," said Montes.

The CNR award carries the name of Eloy Arribas Lazaro in homage of a
Spanish priest and communicator who was one of the pioneers of
decentralization in Peru, who impelled the creation of a National Radio
Coordinating Committee.

-----------------
ECUADOR
Today there is relief and hope in Uruguay, said Methodist leader

By  Manuel Quintero

QUITO,	Dec 3 (alc)-  "One thing is true, in Uruguay there are no sudden
changes," said Pastor Oscar Bolioli, president of the Methodist Church of
Uruguay, commenting on the victory of a coalition of leftwing parties in
Uruguayan presidential elections last October 31.

Tabare Vazquez won the elections on a Frente Amplio, Encuentro Progresista
and  Nueva Mayorma ticket.

Bolioli recognized that the triumph is a fundamental step for the Uruguayan
Left because it put an end to disputes about "who was the purest or the
most radical in order to work on a type of conglomerate where each one
maintains its identity, but as a whole."

The triumph of the left, according to many analysts marks a "before" and
"after" in Uruguayan history. The president elect himself said at a meeting
November 24 in the town of La Cruz, some 100 kilometers north of Montevideo
"in one day (election day) 174 years of history was changed without
spilling a single drop of blood."

The victory of the coalition led by Vazquez has led political leaders to
propose the need to articulate left wing forces at a continental scale.

The new secretary of International Affairs for the Partido de los
Trabajadores (PT) of Brazil, Paulo Ferreira has said he proposes impelling
a broad discussion about "repositioning" the Latin American left, which is
in an expansion phase.

Two elements, said Pastor Bolioli, came together in this recent Uruguayan
electoral process. First the collapse of the economy and secondly the fact
that traditional parties have lost credibility and were incapable of
creating a true democracy after the military dictatorship.

These factors gave rise to a sector that was tired of the deceit and
motivated by a desire for real change, said Bolioli in an interview with
Nuevo Siglo.

He recalled that during the vote count there was uncertainty for a few
hours about whether or not the winning coalition had obtained the magic
number of votes to realize the dream of a change. "This was also the last
card for some to not leave the country," he added.

According to Bolioli, a left wing government could also mean changes for
the situation of Churches, in particular the Catholic Church that has
enjoyed a privileged position with parties in power for more than 200 years.

In the face of an imminent victory from the Coalicisn Frente Amplio, the
Bishops Conference sought to accommodate itself "with requests for dialogue
with the new government that were made public," he said.

However, these requests have not been addressed to date, despite the fact
that the majority of the most representative figures in the new government
are Catholic, said Bolioli.

Regarding historic Protestant Churches that stood alongside the left in
defending human rights and addressing emergency situations, Bolioli said
that now it is time to strengthen the relationship that "is not opportunist
but is one of critical cooperation." The aim is to help the country move
ahead and heal its deepest wounds such as the destruction of the social
fabric and to recover the dignity of the disappeared in the dictatorship,
he said.

On the other hand, Evangelical sectors that kept silent in the face of
crimes carried out by dictatorship have begun to use old, well worn
arguments about the dangers of a leftwing government, he said.

"We have already seen some manifestations, dusting off arguments from the
1970s about the Cuban Revolution, about how  the Churches will be closed
and how it will be difficult to spread the Gospel. One of the pastors has
even sent this alarming information to their relatives in the United
States," said Bolioli.

In the country, he said, "the majority of people are relieved and hopeful
that hunger will end, that we won't have any more children at stoplights
trying to earn a living; that our young people do not have to leave the
country or that parents do not have to search through the garbage to find
their food."

We also hope "that justice is done regarding so many economic and social
crimes that have accumulated," he added.

"No one expects miracles, but as a friend said to me, if this government
does not steal and does not accommodate friends, we will see a difference,"
concluded Pastor Bolioli.

-----------
BRAZIL
Bishop Primate of the Episcopal Church suspends Council with the diocese of
Recife.

PORTO ALEGRE, Dez 3 (alc). The Bishop Primate of the Anglican Episcopal
Church of Brazil (IEAB), Orlando Santos de Oliveira, published a decree
suspending a Council in the Diocese of Reife, scheduled to take place
December 2 -4, while "pastoral conflicts continue", that led to a special
Episcopal oversight  process in the diocese.

According to the administrative secretary of the diocese of Recife, the
Rev. Estevco Meneses the decree "has no foundation in the Constitution or
in the general cannons of the denomination."

The diocese, he added feels "discriminated and persecuted" by the "liberal
leadership of the Province" and calls for international support and
supervision from another orthodox province in the Anglican Communion.

The crisis between the diocese of Recife and the province dates back to the
US Episcopal Church (ECUSA) decision to ordain a homosexual bishop.

The decision was criticized by some sectors in the Church and sparked a
major debate in the worldwide Anglican Communion.

The diocesan bishop of Recife, Robinson Cavalcanti, is one of the leaders
who opposed the ECUSA decision. Cavalcanti participated, without
authorization from the Brazilian Church in a confirmation ceremony for
young people in the diocese of Ohio, held without the approval of the
bishop from that diocese.

The IEAB considers the Brazilian bishop's participation to be an affront.
Robinson Cavalcanti was accused of sowing discord and of exposing the IEAB
to the Anglican Communion in an unnecessary fashion.

Given the situation, last September 16 Orlando Santos de Oliveira ordered a
special Episcopal oversight in the diocese of Recife that was not
recognized by Cavalanti.

The Episcopal decree suspending the Council was published November 26, six
days before the Council of the Diocese of Recife. According to Meneses, in
a press statement, nearly all of the reduced diocesan funds had been
completely used to prepare for the council.

He also complained about the suspension of all denominational financial aid
for the diocese.

-----------
BRAZIL
Evangelicals call for more attention for AIDS

PORTO ALEGRE,  December 2 (alc) - In a Pastoral Letter, the Pastor
President of the Evangelical Church of the Lutheran Confession of Brazil
(IECLB), Walter Altmann called on congregations and service organizations
to constitute groups that take interest and participate in programs to
prevent HIV/AIDs.

For his part, Pastor Sergio Andrade, of the Support for Churches' Service
Action (PAADI) underscored that nearly 6,000 young people are infected with
the HIV virus every day, according to the United Nations on December 1,
when it commemorated World AIDS Day.

At a National Seminar on HIV/AIDs, organized by the Service Department at
the end of August and early September, Altmann recognized that is difficult
to talk about this issue in Churches.

Meeting participants insisted that Churches should break the silence they
maintain regarding HIV/AIDS "not because of the virus but because of an
interest in people and the Gospel of Jesus Christ."

In the document "Our young people and AIDs," Pastor Andrade emphasized the
importance of admitting sexual practice as an inherent part of life, which
is also present in the daily life of the Christian adolescent. He suggested
that Churches examine, from a Biblical point of view, with
multidisciplinary support, the issue of respecting the body, affection,
pleasure and mutual respect.

The PAADI leader defended, as Altmann did in his pastoral letter, the use
of the condom as the most efficient method to prevent HIV.

Pastor Andrade rejected the idea that distributing condoms encourages
sexual practice. "A condom is a condom and nothing more. It is fundamental
for health."

According to Andrade there is a need for "frank, mature conversions as we
are talking about generations, lives and futures."

Altmann also mentioned a recent investigation carried out in Rio Grande do
Sul that indicated that two thirds of intravenous drug users have AIDs.

-------------------
ARGENTINA
Message of Christian Churches for World AIDs Day

BUENOS AIRES, Nov 30 (alc). For World AIDs Day, dozens of Churches and
Christian organizations in Latin America wrote a message drawing attention
to the role of women in combating AIDs.

Those signing the agreement were Churches, Christian organizations and
communities committed to education for prevention, social promotion and
human rights defense of people affected by HIV-AIDs.

These include the Salvation Army, the Argentine Federation of Evangelical
Churches (FAIE), the Latin American Council of Churches (CLAI), Lutheran
Churches of Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Costa Rica and El Salvador.

The message states that from the outset, women, young people and girls did
not consider the situation a distant reality but have been involved in very
diverse ways and closely follow the progress of AIDs.

Women have been at the side of many patients in a valiant testimony of
solidarity and a challenge to fears, cultural, social and religious
prejudices.

Women who live with HIV-AIDs, experience the consequences of inadequate
policies, as well as the inaction of many Churches and religious leaders.

"The Christian communities that sign this message denounce the lack of
gender equity and the stereotypical responsibilities imposed on women. It
is not enough to recognize that the face of AIDs is increasingly younger,
poorer and more female but we must jointly implement actions to transform
this situation," added the statement.

We want to support and strengthen pastoral and educational actions that
contribute to reducing that vulnerability. We must eradicate in society and
in the Christian communities, cultural and sexual practices that are the
fruit of a gender inequality, said the text.

We denounce, it said, the economic dependence, the cultural and social
behavior of many men and the legal and religious limitations that obligate
many women to be in relationships and be submitted to sexual practices as
insecure humans at risk

Our religious organizations must exercise a particular influence, given
that spiritual authorities possess institutional authority. This
responsibility provides the opportunity to disseminate correct and
scientifically based information about HIV and AIDs, to eradicate
discrimination against people who live with HIV or AIDs, the declaration
states.

Violence against women can accelerate the dissemination of HIV. No type of
violence should be tolerated. As Christians committed to the Gospel of
Jesus Christ, we repudiate all violence against women, the documents states.
Latin American and Caribbean News Agency
P.O. Box 14-225 Lima 14 Peru
Tel. (511) 462 0189  Telefax (511) 463 2496
E-mail: director@alcnoticias.org
http: //www.alcnoticias.org