From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Black Caucus Statement Calls for Unity

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Rich.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:13:58 -0500

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 12/8/04)--The American
Baptist Churches USA Black Caucus, in its meeting Nov. 19 during sessions of
the General Board at Green Lake, Wis., voted to issue the following
statement:

"Historically, American Baptists have remained unified and committed to
mission as a people of Christ with diverse theological perspectives.

"Our concern is for the growth and health of ABCUSA. We are of the mind that
drawing a line in the sand on any one social issue is unproductive.

"Our concerns are for: mission and mission support; regional participation
and involvement at the local church level; church growth, evangelism and
discipleship; support and advocacy for ABC-related colleges and seminaries;
health, education, youth, family and communities.

"We support our leaders for keeping our focus on our common mission.  We ask
for prayer for unity at this time."

K/2004ABNS/04ABN138

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org