From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: BIM Celebrates Early World Mission Offering Results

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Rich.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:15:12 -0500

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 12/8/04)--At its November
meetings the American Baptist Churches USA Board of International Ministries
heard and affirmed encouraging news about preliminary results of this year's
World Mission Offering.

IM Acting Executive Director the Rev. Charles H. Jones reported that dozens
of early-reporting churches have met or exceeded the goal of increasing the
offering 36 percent in order to keep all missionaries on the field. Jones
expressed his heartfelt thanks to God for these churches, noting that many
have doubled or tripled their WMO giving, with a few giving up to ten times
the amount they gave last year. "God has used pastors, lay leaders, ABC
region staff and IM's own missionaries and staff to put this financial need
and challenge before the churches," Jones said. "We praise and thank God that
the response has been far greater than we could ask or think, at a time when
many churches and regions are facing their own financial challenges."

Jones and Board President the Rev. Elizabeth A. Burger reported that
International Ministries missionaries, staff and board members participated
in a "WMO Blitz" during September and October. In addition to those
missionaries on regular United States/Puerto Rico assignment, 26 missionaries
made substantial sacrifices to travel to the United States on short notice,
connecting with local churches in a number of special events, worship
services and other gatherings. Many American Baptist regions encouraged and
assisted the missionaries in making these connections, and many missionaries
who were not able to leave their countries of service also made extraordinary
efforts to share inspiring stories with their own constituencies.

Jones and Burger also expressed their thanks for the work of a WMO Blitz
staff team that included the Rev. Bob Santilli, Grace Herstine and Linda
Wilkey.

"It is obvious to me that our churches want to see our global mission not
only survive, but thrive--and increase--as we move ahead.  We are very
thankful to God for His goodness in this time of our great need," Jones said.

K/2004ABNS/04ABN139

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org