From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS} 'Living the Hard Questions': Presiding Bishop to address

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:30:55 -0800

Daybook, from Episcopal News Service

November 30, 2004 - Tuesday: To Note

To Read: MYSTERIES OF FAITH by Mark McIntosh

'Living the Hard Questions': Presiding Bishop to address Dec. 12-15
conference on Anglicanism

[ENS] Cathedral College at Washington National Cathedral will host a
three-day conference titled Anglicans under Fire: Living the Hard Questions
December 12-15. Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold will be among speakers
giving principal talks.

Conference participants will explore how Anglicanism fully honors the
dynamic interplay between scripture, tradition, and reason. They will also
look at how these three elements are the key to how Anglicans preach and
through these lenses sort and sift questions and concerns that arrive in the
life of the church.  Namely, preaching is less about how one arrives at an
absolute answer than about how the various dimensions come into play as the
questions are lived.

Speakers will include the Most Rev. Frank Griswold, Presiding Bishop of the
Episcopal Church in the United States of America; the Rev. Dr. Michael
Battle, assistant professor of Spirituality and Black Church Studies at Duke
Divinity School; and the Rev. Dr. Mark McIntosh, associate professor of
Theology at Loyola University in Chicago.

For further information and registration contact Joan Roberts at
202-537-6381 or visit http://www.collegeofpreachers.org/.

In addition, the wider community is invited to a free open forum December
12, 7:00pm, in the Cathedral's Perry Auditorium with Griswold, Battle and
McIntosh titled The Anglican Communion: Crucible of Difference. They will
discuss the resources in the Anglican tradition and how they can assist as
the difficult questions of the 21st century are lived. The Rev. Frank Wade
will moderate.

Cathedral College at Washington National Cathedral is a residential
continuing education center in Washington, D.C. serving those who are
engaged in ministries of proclamation. The College is made up of ordained
and non-ordained religious leaders and educators from many faith traditions
that come throughout the year to participate in opportunities for learning
and renewal.

Note: The following title is available from the Episcopal Book/Resource
Center, 815 Second Avenue, New York, NY 10017; 800-334-7626;
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org/.

To Read: MYSTERIES OF FAITH by Mark McIntosh (Cambridge, Massachusetts:
Cowley Publications, 2000; 185 pages; $11.95.)

 >From the publisher: This volume on theology introduces the great mysteries
of the Christian faith: the doctrines of creation, revelation, incarnation,
salvation, and eschatology, which are all held together by the doctrine of
the Trinity. To explain these beliefs for Christians today, particularly the
Trinity, McIntosh begins with what we know: the language of relationship and
mutuality, of friendship and family ties.

Mark McIntosh is an Episcopal priest in the Diocese of Chicago and associate
professor of theology at Loyola University. He is the author of Christology
 >From Within and Mystical Theology: The Integrity of Spirituality and
Theology.