From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] World wars, war worlds remembered

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:29:47 -0800

Daybook, from Episcopal News Service

December 3, 2004 -- Friday Forum: Voices on Issues in the News

* Remembering World War II: Presiding Bishop visits Pearl Harbor Church
* Remembering World War I: Maryland bishop rededicates one-of-a-kind chapel
* Remembering active military personnel: Episcopal Prayer Books Available

Remembering active military personnel: Episcopal Prayer Books Available

[ENS] -- From Iraq to Afghanistan, U.S. military personnel currently
deployed can be supplied with copies of A Prayer Book for the Armed
Services. The pocket-size spiritual resource for Episcopalians serving in
the military is available via the Episcopal Parish Services online catalog,
www.episcopalparishservices.org, or 800.903.5544.

Also available, the Episcopal Church Service Cross, is designed to be worn
with the service person's "dog tag" ID. (A brief history of the Service
Cross is provided in A Prayer Book for the Armed Services).
http://www.ecusa-chaplain.org/

Remembering World War II: Presiding Bishop visits Pearl Harbor Church

[ENS] -- In advance of the 63rd anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor
December 7, Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold visited St. George's Church,
Pearl Harbor, on December 2 as part of his weeklong pastoral visit to the
Diocese of Hawaii.

Praying a collect for peace and for those in the armed forces and singing
the Navy hymn, Griswold participated in a short memorial prayer service to
honor those who died on December 7, 1941, and for those who serve in wars
today. Surrounded by two dozen of the church's preschool children and a few
military parents, Griswold was clearly moved by his surroundings and the
historical context. As leader of a church which speaks out against policies
of war, Griswold said he found he was deeply mindful, looking into fresh
faces of three-year olds and their vulnerable young parents, knowing that
death and injury faces so many military families. Griswold thanked the small
congregation for their ministry and hospitality. "You have my prayers
always," he said. "I have a great sorrow and concern for you and your
families."

St. George was built in 1956 as the Pearl Harbor Memorial of the Episcopal
Church, launched with funds received from the offering of the General
Convention of the Episcopal Church which met in Honolulu in 1955, the first
time it had met outside the mainland United States. Hawai`i gained statehood
in 1959. Located on Navy land at the military base, the church serves
families from all branches of the armed forces.

- - - - -

Remembering World War I: Maryland bishop rededicates one-of-a-kind chapel

By Val Hymes

[ENS] -- As the bishop of Maryland was rededicating the only World War I
chapel in the nation Nov. 14, a young woman walked up the aisle of a small
Odenton, Md., church, pulling along a 4-year-old boy.

She came to say she heard the church bells ring announcing the Armistice -
the end of World War One - and came to say a prayer of thanks that her
husband, the boy's father, would be coming home.

Years later, that boy, Tom MacNemar, remembered running to the church..

"I was 4 years old. The train whistles blew, the church bell rang. My mother
took me by the hand and we ran down Odenton Road. We ran right into the
chapel, up to the front pew and got on our knees to thank God that
it was over and that my father would be coming home."

The reenactment was performed by Christina Stevenson of Pasadena, Md.,and
her son, Russell,3. His widow, Josephine, 87, sat in the front row on Sunday
in Epiphany Church in Odenton, west of Annapolis. "Tom would be happy to see
this," she said.

The humble board and batten building in Odenton is not only a church now,
but is also a social history museum of artifacts, music, uniforms and
information about the Great War that is recognized by Register of Historic
Places as the only known WWI chapel.

Military historians say WWI chaplains were issued only a tent and a blue
flag with a white Latin cross.

Epiphany Chapel and Church House, now Epiphany Episcopal Church, was built
as a "home away from home" for the doughboys at Camp Meade, as Fort Meade
was then known. Soldiers were welcomed with church services, dinners, dances
and counseling by the five chaplains ministering to the camp.

The project was supported by Maryland, Pennsylvania and District members of
the Church War Commission and constructed with $11,000 in funds donated by
two women from Epiphany Church in Washington.

At Sunday's dedication, the Episcopal bishop of Maryland, the Rt. Rev.
Robert W. Ihloff, said the building "is a tribute to the Armed Forces, the
nation and the diocese."

The rector, the Rev. Phebe L. McPherson, who has spent 18 years restoring
the building to its original state and upgrading the infrastructure, said
the project cost $1.2 million.

"We learned," she said, "that a church is not just a building." The small
congregation, she said, volunteered for church duties, baked, sanded,
scrubbed and worked hard to see it become a social history museum as well as
a healthy, growing, diverse church community.

A memorial Peace Garden with bronze tablets naming the nearly 3,000
chaplains of the Great War, stands outside. The congregation prays for
chaplains every Sunday and was restored with the help of  $23,000 in
donations from military chapel offerings around the world. After 9-11, the
congregation created a "cookie ministry" for the MPs from Oregon manning the
gates at Fort Meade.

The church also gave a Peace Award to Chaplain Norman P. Forde, who is
retiring after 50 years ministering to soldiers at Fort Meade.

Music, games, and mementos from the era were displayed throughout the
church/museum. Costumed members of the congregation mingled, a bagpiper
played, era music was played and sung, children ran around chairs on the
"cakewalk" and earned a cake by landing on the right chair, poppies and
Clark bars, donated to thousands of soldiers, were plentiful.

On Armistice Day, Nov. 11, 60 members of the Daughters of the Revolution
(DAR) visited the church and museum. Their predecessors donated a Communion
service to the chapel in 1918.

The young mother's prayer in 1918 reflected the prayers of today's mothers:
"We come to this place today giving thanks for all those who have given
everything they have for the freedom we now know. And Lord, please bring
peace again, for the sake of our children, and our children's children."

--Val Hymes is editor, Prison Ministry Network News (PrisMinNet@aol.com) and
coordinator, Prison Ministry Task Force, Diocese of Maryland.
www.prisonministry.ang-md.org.