From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS] Statement of Most Revd Robin Eames

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:17:31 -0800

ACNS 3919     |     IRELAND	|     10 DECEMBER 2004

Statement from the Most Revd Robin Eames, the Primate of All Ireland and
Chairman of the Lambeth Commission

[Church of Ireland Press Office]

"I have been dismayed that certain remarks of mine in a telephone
interview with the Church of England Newspaper have been taken
completely out of context to mean I believe the Windsor Report will not
have much effect. Nothing could be further from my hopes and convictions
for the Windsor Report which contains the unanimous recommendations of
the Lambeth Commission after a year's prayerful work. Those unanimous
recommendations are already receiving widespread and thoughtful study
and response. They will now go to the Primates Meeting in February with
my full endorsement as Chairman of the Commission. Some of the
recommendations relate to long-term adjustments to the way we do things
as Anglicans and will need a process of continued study and discussion.
Other unanimous recommendations relate to immediate problems and need to
be implemented by the Primates. I would again emphasise that the Lambeth
Commission Report contains the unanimous recommendations of a widely
representative body of Anglicans from around the world. The Report has
my full support and endorsement as Chairman of the Lambeth Commission
and represents my own personal views on the problems facing the Anglican
Communion at this time."

The Most Revd Robin Eames
Chairman of the Lambeth Commission on Communion