From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC NEWS: WCC/CEC support for Patriarchate

From "WCC Media" <Media@wcc-coe.org>
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:36:02 +0100

World Council of Churches - News Release
Contact: + 41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507 6363 media@wcc-coe.org

For immediate release: 13 December 2004

WCC AND CEC DECLARE SUPPORT FOR ORTHODOX PATRIARCHATE

- - - Jointly issued by the World Council of Churches and the Conference of
European Churches - - -

In the face of the recent "new pressures and difficulties being brought upon
the Ecumenical Patriarchate", the World Council of Churches (WCC) and the
Conference of European Churches (CEC) have expressed their solidarity to the
Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, His All Holiness Bartholomew I.

Writing on behalf of their respective organisations in a letter of 10
December, the Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia, General Secretary of WCC, and the Rev. Dr
Keith Clements, General Secretary of CEC, expressed their "profound sorrow at
the reports we are receiving of new pressures and difficulties being brought
upon the Ecumenical Patriarchate. We are pained to read of the public
criticisms and attacks being made upon yourself and upon the Christian
community in Turkey. Such hostility must be very hard to bear, with the added
sense of isolation that it brings".

"The days in the immediate future are", the letter states, "beset with many
sensitivities in the political sphere especially as regards the question of
the accession of Turkey to the European Union. This makes it even more
important, we believe, that your own patient and determined advocacy of the
accession of Turkey to the EU should be recognised and reaffirmed by all who
have at heart the future of Turkey, and the peaceful development of Europe
and the wider world. For those of us who have long known you, this is but one
more example of the integrity you have shown as a leader in the worldwide
Orthodox Church and in the ecumenical movement where you have unceasingly
proclaimed the cause of dialogue, reconciliation and peace in the world at
large no less than the calling to Christian unity".

"Whatever may be the outcomes of the forthcoming political negotiations on 17
December", the letter concludes, "we in the WCC and CEC will follow the
process with the greatest attention, and will seek to accompany the
Ecumenical Patriarchate in reflection upon our common Christian
responsibility for the future of Europe".

The full text of the letter is available below.

Letter to His All Holiness Bartholomew I, Ecumenical Patriarch

Your All Holiness,

At this time of Advent, as we prepare to celebrate the coming of our Lord
Jesus Christ, the light of the world, we greet you in the name of him who
says, "In the world you face persecution. But take courage: I have overcome
the world" (John 16.33).

On behalf of the World Council of Churches and the Conference of European
Churches, we write to express our profound sorrow at the reports we are
receiving of new pressures and difficulties being brought upon the Ecumenical
Patriarchate. We are pained to read of the public criticisms and attacks
being made upon yourself and upon the Christian community in Turkey. Such
hostility must be very hard to bear, with the added sense of isolation that
it brings. Our own visits to you in Istanbul in April and May this year
vividly reminded us of the need to sustain with you the reality of our
fellowship in Christ: "When one member suffers, all suffer together with it."

We wish Your All Holiness, and all our brothers and sisters under your
leadership throughout the world, to know of our solidarity with you in
thought and prayer at this difficult time. The days in the immediate future
are, we realise, beset with many sensitivities in the political sphere
especially as regards the question of the accession of Turkey to the European
Union. This makes it even more important, we believe, that your own patient
and determined advocacy of the accession of Turkey to the EU should be
recognised and reaffirmed by all who have at heart the future of Turkey, and
the peaceful development of Europe and the wider world. For those of us who
have long known you, this is but one more example of the integrity you have
shown as a leader in the worldwide Orthodox Church and in the ecumenical
movement where you have unceasingly proclaimed the cause of dialogue,
reconciliation and peace in the world at large no less than the calling to
Christian unity. There are ma
 n!
y throughout the world who deeply appreciate your most recent emphasis on
this, in your message recorded for the first International Day of Prayer for
Peace on 21 September this year.

Whatever may be outcomes of the forthcoming political negotiations on 17
December, we in the WCC and CEC will follow the process with the greatest
attention, and will seek to accompany the Ecumenical Patriarchate in
reflection upon our common Christian responsibility for the future of Europe.
Meanwhile, if it would prove helpful we shall be very glad if a
representative each of WCC and CEC could visit the Ecumenical Patriarchate in
the next few days, both as a further token of our solidarity with you and in
order to gain further information on your situation and to receive your
insights on the issues before us.

Please accept then, Your All Holiness, the assurances of our earnest prayers
for God's sustaining grace and guidance in the coming days, and our hopes for
the strengthening of our common endeavours for peace and reconciliation.

Yours in Christ,

Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia
General Secretary
World Council of Churches

Rev. Dr Keith Clements
General Secretary
Conference of European Churches

Additional information: Juan Michel,+41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507 6363
media@wcc-coe.org

Sign up for WCC press releases at
http://onlineservices.wcc-coe.org/pressnames.nsf

---
The World Council of Churches is a fellowship of churches, now 342, in more
than 120 countries in all continents from virtually all Christian traditions.
The Roman Catholic Church is not a member church but works cooperatively with
the WCC. The highest governing body is the assembly, which meets
approximately every seven years. The WCC was formally inaugurated in 1948 in
Amsterdam, Netherlands. Its staff is headed by general secretary Samuel Kobia
from the Methodist church in Kenya.