From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

FW: [UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 04586-United Methodist giving up

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:06:47 -0600

United Methodist giving up modestly

Dec. 13, 2004	 News media contact:   Linda  Green * (615) 7425470*
Nashville {04586}

NOTE: A related article, UMNS # 587, accompanies this story.

A UMNS Feature
By Joretta Purdue*

United Methodist giving to churchwide ministry and administration is up
modestly compared with last year at the end of November, but totals just 59.5
percent of the year's goal.

The denomination, like other churches and charities, receives a
disproportionate amount of its annual income during the last weeks of a year.

At the end of November, donations to the seven funds that make up the bulk of
the general church budget had increased 2.9 percent over 2003, a gain of more
than $2.2 million.

But because the conferences were being asked for more during 2004, according
to the General Council on Finance and Administration (GCFA) additional giving
was only a 0.3 percent greater portion of the "asking" or amount budgeted for
churchwide mission and ministry.

World Service -- the largest of the funds -- is up $1.2 million, also an
increase of 2.9 percent, according to figures released by the denomination's
General Council on Finance and Administration. World Service provides the
basic support for most of the denomination's general agencies.

Only the Black College Fund and the Episcopal Fund showed greater growth,
having risen 3.3 percent and 3.2 percent respectively.	Giving to the other
funds increased by the following percentages: Africa University, 1.9 percent;
Ministerial Education, 2.8; General Administration, 2; and
Interdenominational Cooperation, 1.9.

The denomination has six churchwide special Sunday offerings. Giving to these
as a whole was down 1.9 percent from 2003. Only One Great Hour of Sharing,
which benefits the United Methodist Committee on Relief, increased from last
year. The largest of the special offerings, it had received almost $3.2
million to date.

"As important as year-end financials are for our denomination, more important
is the spiritual health of our local churches," commented Sandra Lackore,
denomination treasurer and GCFA chief executive. "During this time of Advent,
when we have the opportunity to appreciate anew God's gift of his son and all
that represents, my hope and prayer is that Methodists around our great
denomination will respond through their giving."

*Purdue is a retired staff writer of United Methodist News Service.

News media contact: Linda Green, (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.