From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Encyclical of Archbishop Demetrios for The Nativity

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:49:36 -0800

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org
Email: communications@goarch.org

   Protocol 98/04

   December 25, 2004
   The Nativity of Christ

   "For to you is born this day ... a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.  And
   this will be a sign for you: you will find a babe wrapped in swaddling
   clothes and lying in a manger."   (Luke 2:11-12)

   To the Most Reverend Hierarchs, the Reverend Priests and Deacons, the
   Monks and Nuns, the Presidents and Members of the Parish Councils of the
   Greek Orthodox Communities, the Day, Afternoon, and Church Schools, the
   Philoptochos Sisterhoods, the Youth, the Hellenic Organizations, and the
   entire Greek Orthodox Family in America,

   My Beloved Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

   I greet you on the joyous occasion of the Feast of the Nativity of our
   Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, an event of cosmic proportions that marked
   the very entry of salvation into our world.	The significance of this
   event rests in the awesome truth that our God, in His perfect love for
   us, chose to enter our world not as an adult clothed with earthly
   authority, but as "a babe wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a
   manger".  It is truly incredible to contemplate such a tender and humble
   image in view of the incomprehensible might and majesty of God.

   This act of Divine condescension suggests the bestowal of a tremendous
   dignity upon humankind.  This dignity reveals itself most directly in the
   awesome duty of care that God placed upon the most Holy Theotokos and
   Virgin Mary and upon Joseph in caring for His only-begotten Son, the
   newborn Messiah.  We must remember that Jesus, in his human infancy, was
   dependent upon Mary and Joseph for the basic necessities of food,
   shelter, and clothing.  Here, we behold but a glimpse of the limitless
   nature of God's love for humanity.  By becoming a human being from the
   moment of infancy, God revealed His desire to partake in the entirety of
   the human experience, beginning with a humble birth and proceeding even
   unto death on a Cross, so that we in turn might enjoy an everlasting life
   with Him.

   Viewed from this perspective, God's entry into our world as "a babe
   wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger" was an indicative
   sign with wider implications:  In an age where many looked toward
   emperors and kings for their security, God deigned to herald the
   salvation of humanity with the birth, under humbling conditions, of an
   infant.  This was no accident; rather, it was an act with a declaratory
   significance.  Beyond the importance of these humbling conditions, the
   appearance of God in the world as a babe, as a child, strongly affirmed
   the centrality of the child in God's plan for the salvation of the human
   race.  This affirmation is fundamentally important in our modern age,
   particularly in view of social conditions within our world that
   compromise the supreme value of children and their inalienable right to
   be nurtured within the security of a family and to live in dignity as God
   intended.

   Brothers and Sisters,

   This year it is fitting that we place special emphasis upon the vital
   role and care of children and their families during our celebration of
   Christmas, for we will be inaugurating as an Archdiocese in 2005 the Year
   of the Family, a period of intensified ministry to families across
   America.  Our principle aims for this year will be to enhance the
   spiritual lives of families, to grow in our appreciation of Greek
   Orthodox families in America as we minister to their particular needs,
   and to make available to families more and more resources that
   communicate the abiding presence of Christ and His Church.  What
   beautiful and worthy aims for us to consider this year during this
   glorious Feast of the Nativity, which embodies the true essence and
   potential of family like no other holiday!

   Therefore, as we celebrate this blessed occasion, let us do so as loving
   and caring families.  Let us come together in prayer and worship of the
   Almighty God, Who entered our world as an infant for our salvation.	As
   we gather in fellowship with one another this holiday season, let us
   particularly reflect upon the fact of the Incarnate God lying in a manger
   as a babe, thus establishing forever the paramount importance of children
   as precious members of our families.

   I offer to you my fervent wishes that the joy of this Christmas season
   fills your hearts, your homes, your families, and your parishes and that
   the very same joy may accompany you throughout the dawning New Year.  The
   Prince of Peace has come as a child; and He has promised to be with us
   all the days, to the end of time, even to the end of the world (Matthew
   28:20).

   With paternal love in Christ,

    +DEMETRIOS
   Archbishop of America