From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[AACC] Dandala Speaks on Great Lakes Region Conflict in Africa

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:53:48 -0800

All Africa Conference of Churches
Nairobi, Kenya
infodesk@aacc-ceta.org

"Communication and Advocacy" <infodesk@aacc-ceta.org>

REV. DR. MVUME DANDALA, THE AACC GENERAL SECRETARY SPEAKS ON THE CHURCH AND
THE CONFLICT IN THE GREAT LAKES REGION

By Polycarp Ochilo and Akinyi L. Ogot

The continued conflicts and wars in the Great Lakes Region is a matter of
great pain and worry to the churches in Africa.  Rev. Dr. Mvume Dandala,
the General Secretary of the AACC has said.  The continued wars and
conflicts he said, has continued to affect deeply the people of Rwanda,
Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo.  People he said, continue to
be killed and displaced in a way that has far reaching consequences in the
region and the rest of Africa.

Performing the official closing function of the joint church leaders
consultations on Peace Building and Reconciliation at the Methodist Guest
House in Nairobi on 9th December 2004, Dr. Dandala said, once again, there
are worrying signs of possible military confrontations between Rwanda and
the Democratic Republic of Congo, adding that these are not positive signs,
they call for collective action of the International community and churches
together now.

The churches, he said, must take lead in opposing war in the Region.  Our
people need peace and security and the right to life and not wars.  We
must, as people of Africa, stand together in opposing wars as the preferred
options of resolving conflicts and misunderstanding.  Dr. Dandala appealed
to both the Governments of Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo to
move fast and restore order through dialogue and not war.

He went on to urge, the churches in Africa and the rest of the world to
pray for a lasting peace in Africa and the rest of the world.  We should,
he said, during these trying times, pray for the people of Rwanda, Burundi
and the Democratic Republic of Congo.  We should remember in our prayers
those who have so far lost their lives, the refugees and the internally
displaced people from this region.  He urged African Governments and the
international community to focus on the Great Lakes Region as a way of
restoring peace in the region.

The Consultation on Peace Building and Reconciliation was jointly organized
by four institutions:  The All Africa Conference of Churches, Fellowships
of Christian Councils and Churches in the Great Lakes Region and the Horn
of Africa (FECCLAHA), Eben-Ezer Ministry and Africa Evangelistic Enterprise
(AEE).	Dr. Dandala took the opportunity to inform the church leaders that
the AACC Executive Committee mandated the AACC to start extensive
consultations with the church leadership in the Region to start the process
of establishing an Ecumenical forum for the Great Lakes Region.  Earlier,
the Consultation participants had endorsed the idea as both good and
timely.  They also recommended that the AACC and FECCLAHA take lead in the
facilitation process leading to the establishment of the Great Lakes
Ecumenical Forum which shall be owned by the churches.

At the end of the consultations, the church leaders issued the following
Pastoral Statement of concern on the unfolding events of possible military
confrontations in the Great Lakes Regions.

PASTORAL STATEMENT OF CONCERN ON THE UNFOLDING EVENTS OF
POSSIBLE MILITARY CONFRONTATIONS IN THE GREAT LAKES REGION

We the Church Leaders from the Great Lakes Region, from Uganda, Democratic
Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Burundi meeting at the Methodist Guest House
Nairobi Kenya, on 8th and 9th December 2004, to deliberate on Peace
Building and Reconciliation are alarmed by the possible military
confrontation among the Countries in the Region.  Indeed both Rwanda and
the Democratic Republic of Congo are reported to have ordered their forces
for possible war!

The Nairobi Consultations on Peace Building and Reconciliation, was jointly
organized by the All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC), Fellowship
of  Christian Councils and Churches in the Great Lakes and the Horn of
Africa (FECCLAHA), EBEN-EZER Ministry and Africa Evangelistic Enterprise
(AEE).

Having reflected on a number of critical and some core causes of conflicts
and wars in the Region such as:-

-	  Economic Stagnation and Poverty, mistrust and suspicion between
governments, violation of human rights, citizens marginalization from
Political participation, illegal exploitation of natural resources, use of
violence for conquering power, war crimes, trafficking of small arms and
light weapons, negative armed groups among others wish to express our
deepest concerns and regrets on the reported re-newed possible armed
conflicts between the Government of Rwanda and the Government of the
Democratic Republic of Congo.

We are deeply concerned that these re-newed military confrontations totally
violates the spirit and principles of Dar-es-Salaam Declaration on Peace,
Security, Democracy and Development on the Great Lakes which were agreed on
and ratified by the Regions Heads of States during their First Summit of
Heads of State and Government on 19th-20th November 2004.

Furthermore, these re-newed hostilities will directly and indirectly
exacerbate the already worsened situations of millions of Refugees and
Internally Displaced Persons in the Region; currently living under
intolerable situations in extremely poor conditions without adequate
shelter, water and Food. Besides, millions of the most vulnerable, women
and children have so far been killed with many more affected by HIV/AIDS.

We the Church Leaders, therefore, wish to urge all the parties	to desist
from further aggression and opt for dialogue as opposed to war.

1.		   To this end therefore, we wish to call on all the
parties concerned, the Churches and the other Civil society Groups to
reflect a new and re-think profoundly on some of the fundamental problems
that have so far been identified as a way of providing a lasting and
sustainable Peace in the Region.

2.		   Similarly, we wish to call on the Churches in the Region
to stand in solidarity together and journey together in mobilizing citizens
from  Burundi and Democratic Republic of Congo in particular, to focus
fully on the pending Parliamentary and Presidential Elections.	It is
imperative that churches ensure that these governments create a conducive
atmosphere for purposes of transparent and democratic elections that will
meet the will of the citizens from these countries and the International
Community.

3.		   Churches should as well take lead in the mobilization of
Churches towards the creation of a Network for the facilitation of
Solidarity among Churches

4.		   We, the Churches in the Region should pay great
attention in the provision and strengthen our Information Channels and
capacity for Information gathering, sharing and analysis.

5.		   The Churches in the Region should put in place strategic
programmatic interventions on Peace Building and Reconciliation in the
Region with possible linkages with other conflict areas in Africa.

6.		   We urge the Churches to think of new approaches to Peace
Education and Curricular and Civic Education as well particularly on voting
and Human Rights Issues.

7.		   We recommend that the AACC take lead with other Regional
Ecumenical Institutions such as FECCLAHA in the facilitation of the
establishment of an inclusive Ecumenical Forum for the Great Lakes to
basically deal with urgent Advocacy Networking and Information sharing
among the Chief Actors on Great Lakes Regions.

8.		   We the churches, collectively undertake to develop new
Vision on the Great Lakes as a way of reinforcing the Prophetic roles and
voice of the Church in the Region during the transitional and post
transitional periods.

9.		   We urge that Governments of the Great Lakes Region adopt
Democracy and Good Governance as one of he ways of ensuring and entrenching
sustainable Peace and Security on the Region.

10.		We recommend that an expanded consultations on Peace and
Peace Building be organised early next year as a follow up to the issued
agreed on during this meeting.

	   ###