From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] A merger journey

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:38:22 -0600

Note #8593 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

04556
December 17, 2004

A merger journey

Wallingford and Ravenna Boulevard join to become a new church

by Rev. Donna Frey DeCou
The Spirit
Reprinted with Permission

SEATTLE - On September 12, 2004, two congregations in the Green Lake area of
Seattle - Ravenna Boulevard and Wallingford - took a major step of faith and
voted to merge. This vote marked the first time in the history of Seattle
Presbytery that two congregations have come together willingly and joyfully
to form such a union. This union was the result of six months of intense
discernment and work by both churches and the administrative commission
appointed by Presbytery.

	I announced my intention to retire as Pastor of Ravenna Boulevard in
March 2004. That's when the conversation about something new began. My
announcement along with concern that in a small congregation it is difficult
to maintain all the essential programs and services, led church members to
meet with the Rev. Boyd Stockdale, Executive Presbyter, to explore
possibilities for the future. The Ravenna Session had already pondered what
the future might hold, especially in terms of calling another pastor, and
much prayer had been offered about God's will for the congregation.

	After considering several possibilities, Ravenna's session and
members began to dialogue with Wallingford Presbyterian Church about a
possible merger. The congregations were well-matched theologically, in
worship style, and sense of mission. Being only 2.3 miles apart, it seemed
advantageous to become one church, with each congregation bringing its
particular strengths to the new one.

	Ravenna joined in this dialogue with a sense of hope and a certain
sadness about leaving our church facility where we celebrated 95 years of
faithful Christian service on May 16, 2004. We poignantly remembered and gave
thanks to God for the blessings received through almost a century of
congregational life.

	Wallingford members challenged one another to "Think Big" at the
outset of 2004. What began as a conversation within the Worship Committee
while planning for the season of Lent soon became a theme for the year
winding its way through sermons, an officers' retreat, session meetings, and
dozens of informal conversations around the church. "What is the best thing
that could happen to this congregation?" and "What is the biggest thing you
can imagine God doing here?" became conversation starters. Who could have
thought they'd decide to become a new church?

	Once an intentional decision was made by both Sessions to pursue a
possible merger, tasks for church officers, and members of the Administrative
Commission, shifted into high gear. That speed was maintained throughout the
summer, with the result that new by-laws and a full Merger Agreement were
ready for the congregations to consider by September 1.

	Six months is a short time to do all the negotiating and preparations
for a merger, but by the grace of God we did it. The congregational votes
held on September 12 were overwhelmingly positive, with Presbytery adding a
show of support on September 21.

	The more difficult negotiations centered on the fact that one
congregation (Ravenna) would need to move into a familiar facility for the
other (Wallingford). That, in turn, meant that staff changes had to be made.
The grief associated with the move was soothed a bit by moving a number of
furnishings from Ravenna Boulevard facility to the Wallingford facility. And
staffing concerns were guided by wise and gentle care on the part of the
Administrative Commission.

	The church program year was ready to begin on Sunday, September 19,
the newly-merged congregation wasted no time in getting together. Christian
education classes for all ages, plus a service of worship, were held at
Wallingford that day. Each Sunday since has been a day of joyous sharing.
Time is still being invested in getting better-acquainted and all three
pastors have found themselves with plenty of work to do. However, the sense
of empowerment that comes from combining strengths has been wonderful to
experience.

	In the future, other congregations may need to take a similar step. I
advise them to be courageous in doing so. I would emphasize that a sense of
good will and trust is bedrock to this process. I also suggest churches take
a year to complete a merger. The amount of work to do is great!

	In other presbyteries, a new name for a merged congregation is often
chosen ahead of the actual merger. This was not possible in this particular
situation, but this does occur in other mergers.

	Key to the success of this merger has been the sense of respect and
cooperation enjoyed by the three pastors involved. And this same sense of
respect and cooperation has been present among the Session and congregants.
Most of all, coming together has been possible because of God's faithfulness
- past, present and future.