From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Advent Letter from Jerusalem

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:29:07 -0800

"A voice was heard in Ramah,
Wailing and loud lamentation,
Rachel weeping for her children;
She refused to be consoled,
Because they are no more."

Jeremiah 31:15

Grace and peace to you from the Holy Land.   We are well into the season of
Advent & the season of waiting and watching, listening for the wilderness
voices crying to prepare the way and make straight the roads of the Lord.

To make straight the roads & a poignant cry in a land whose roads are
blocked in hundreds of places by checkpoints, barriers, fences and the
Wall!  The only roads that are straight, the hundreds of miles of bypass
roads, are primarily forbidden to Palestinians.  For them, there is no
straight road.	(www.btselem.org, Forbidden Roads, August 2004 report)

In this season when our eyes turn towards Bethlehem, we can see what is
tragically taking place across the whole of the West Bank. If Mary and
Joseph were to arrive in Bethlehem today, not only would they need permits
to pass the checkpoints, but they would have to take a detour to get into
the town.  The main historic street into Bethlehem is being completely cut
off by a wall, ostensibly because of Rachel and her tomb, located on that
road.  This place has had religious meaning not only to Jewish women, but
historically was a gathering point for Christian and Muslim women as well,
as they prayed for the gift of a child. The tomb area was also the main
burial ground for Muslims in the city but is no longer available to
them.  Now, Rachel s tomb has become a fortress, an Israeli military
outpost at the entrance to the city.  Only Israeli Jewish and foreign women
and men are allowed access today. As part of the Wall project, the area is
being cut off from Bethlehem, making way for a new Jewish settlement,
displacing more Palestinian families and separating others from their olive
groves or businesses.
(http://www.poica.org/casestudies/Bethlehem%2026-01-04/index.htm)

If one manages to get close enough to the Tomb, though, past the razor wire
and around the 20 inch thick concrete walls, one can almost hear Rachel
still weeping for her children.  She weeps for Iman al-Hamas, a 13-year
Palestinian girl riddled with machine-gun bullets by an Israeli army
officer on her way to school in Rafah, as she weeps for the 652 Palestinian
children which have been killed in the past 4 years alone.

She weeps for the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi and Sudanese children, and
the over 2 million children who have lost their lives in armed conflicts in
the last decade alone.	She weeps for children left without parents,
without food and water, without housing and education, who are victims of
the world's obsession with violence, a world so bent on destruction and war
that it spends billions on bullets, bombs and brutality, responding to
symptoms of conflict rather than proactively investing in solutions to the
causes.

In the United States alone, we have poured over $150 billion into the war
on Iraq. immunized every child in the world for almost 50 years; provided
health insurance for almost 90,000,000 children in the USA; put over
19,000,000 kids in Head Start or over 2,000,000 more public school teachers
in place for a year; built 1,300,000 new homes for those struggling to make
ends meet; given over 7,000,000 students 4-year scholarships to public
universities; or fully funded global anti-hunger programs for 6 years or
global AIDS programs for 14 years.  If we add the amounts spent by nations
worldwide on arms and conflict, what we could have done for children around
the world is almost unimaginable.  (www.costofwar.com)

Living and working in this land called holy, we cry with Rachel for all of
the children -- Palestinian, Israeli, Christian, Muslim, and Jewish.  We
weep for children everywhere who pay the price for the arrogance and greed
of adults the world over.  We long for the crooked places to be made
straight so that the most vulnerable among us might know life before death!

Yet Advent reminds us that in the midst of weeping, there is another
cry.  It is the sound of a newborn child crying, bearing new life, hope and
light into a broken world.  This stable-born savior was born to change the
world by transforming our love of power into the power of love; a love that
blesses the poor, embraces the unworthy, forgives the guilty and liberates
the oppressed.	During this sacred season, we wait with faith and longing,
even in the midst of tears and fears, for the fullness of God s reign on
earth.	We reflect on our lives and our choices, and we watch every day for
signs of the Child.   We center our lives on the gift of Love that came to
us in a child and we seek renewed conviction to give ourselves to the work
of justice and peace.

This Advent, we go to Bethlehem, where Love is born, to see if there is any
room in our busy, important lives for the Child.  We go as the scared and
surprised shepherds, to watch for angels and listen for Glorias!  We go as
Mary, pondering and treasuring in our hearts what this Child means for us
all.  And, yes, we go as Rachel, to wonder at how each of us can reach out
to change our priorities for the well-being of children everywhere.

Please pray for us in this little town of Bethlehem and all over this Holy
Land, for the good news of steps toward a just peace, towards healing and
reconciliation.  Pray that we may all live so that Rachel s weeping is
transformed into joy as children the world over discover the opportunity
for life.

May the peace of the Christ Child be born in you again this Christmas, and
carry you with joy and blessing into the New Year.

Sincerely,

Rev. Alex and Mrs. Brenda Awad
General Board of Global Ministries
Mission Personnel - United Methodist Church

Douglas Dicks
Presbyterian Church (USA) Regional Liaison
Israel, Palestine and Jordan

Nancy Dinsmore
Development Officer
Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem

Kathy Kamphoefner & Paul Pierce
Quaker Service - Jerusalem
American Friends Service Committee

Rev. Paul Lillie, deacon
St. George's Cathedral, Jerusalem

Sri Mayasandra
Mennonite Central Committee

Catherine Nichols
Global Ministries Personnel Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) & United
Church of Christ

Rev.  Sandra Olewine
United Methodist Church Liaison Jerusalem
General Board of Global Ministries

Rev. Julie Rowe
Communications for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and Jerusalem

Tim and Chris Seidel
Mennonite Central Committee

Rev. Russell O. Siler, pastor
English-speaking congregation
Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Jerusalem