From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

2004 Christmas Message of Metropolitan Herman, Orthodox Church

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:14:31 -0800

The 2004 Christmas Message of Metropolitan Herman, Orthodox Church in America
Feast of the Nativity of Christ 2004
Christ is born! Glorify Him!

Dearly Beloved in the Lord:
God is with us! Understand this, O nations, and submit yourselves, for God
is with us!

As we celebrate the wondrous birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ, it is fitting
for us to reflect on His mission as the long-awaited Messiah, the
only-begotten Son of God, and the Savior of the world.

We often hear discussions in the public forum about faith and values. Many
voices have called for a return to a vision of life based on principles
that, for centuries, have been at the very heart of our society. While
these principles offer hope in a world filled with uncertainty, the
question must be asked: "what faith" and "whose values" are we called to
appropriate into our lives as Orthodox Christians?

The good news that Christ proclaimed was indeed a call to faith - not in a
"concept" or an "ideology," but in a person, in the One Whom Saint Peter
professed to be "the Son of the Living God." And the values He embodied,
summarized in His challenge to love God above all else and to love our
neighbor as ourselves, are neither "theory" nor "humanitarian causes" to be
championed by people of faith-based principles. Rather, they are the fruits
of a life lived in faith in Jesus Christ as the Lord and Master of our lives.

The period of history into which Our Lord was born, like our own, was
filled with uncertainty. While the Roman Empire had proclaimed that peace
had descended upon the world, it was an uncertain peace at best, one rooted
not in divine faith and values, but in legal decrees and pronouncements.
Into this seemingly tranquil yet highly charged setting the Prince of Peace
entered, silently and in all humility. As we sing in the Nativity hymns, He
made the cave His palace, the manger His throne. The simple shepherds and
the dumb beasts worshipped Him, while the angels glorified Him in song. Yet
the rulers of the world came to fear Him, because He revealed that
mankind's faith was to be focused on Him alone, and that the values, the
way of life of which He was the supreme example, was rooted in a Kingdom
that was "not of this world."

Today, as perhaps never before in our lifetimes, we are challenged to put
our faith in the newborn Divine Child of Bethlehem into action, to live as
Our Lord taught us - not for ourselves, but for those around us, especially
the "least of the brethren." Confessing Him as the One Who grants the gift
of faith, as well as the One in Whom our faith is fulfilled, we are
challenged to bring forth the fruits of faith, not by debating vague and
often undefined values, but by loving others, even our enemies, as He loves
us - unconditionally. And finally, we are challenged to proclaim our faith
and Christ-centered lives in word and in deed, so that those who sit in
darkness will have yet another opportunity to rejoice in His divine Light.

On this glorious and radiant feast, it is my heartfelt prayer that the
Newborn Savior of the world will strengthen the faith that He has given you
as a most precious gift - a gift that I pray you will value and honor every
moment of your lives, with every breath you take! May this gift serve as
the guide, as well as the goal, for proclaiming the wondrous news of the
Incarnation of the Son of God now and throughout the coming year!

With love in the newborn Lord,

+ HERMAN
Archbishop of Washington
Metropolitan of All America and Canada

With headquarters in Syosset, New York, the Orthodox Church in America
numbers over 700 parishes, missions, monasteries, seminaries and
institutions throughout the United States, Canada, and Mexico. (www.oca.org)

For a biography of Metropolitan Herman:
http://www.oca.org/pages/ocaadmin/episcopacy/mh/biographymh.html  or
additional information, contact the Very Rev. John Matusiak, OCA
Communications Director, at 630-668-3071 or jjm@oca.org

-- END --