From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 04619-United Methodists use 'USA Today' ad to help tsunami

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:17:59 -0600

United Methodists use 'USA Today' ad to help tsunami victims

Dec. 30, 2004	 News media contact:   Stephen	Drachler * (615) 7425411*  Nashville {04619}

NOTE: A pdf of the ad is available at www.ignitingministry.org.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - The United Methodist Church will use a full-page advertisement in USA Today to offer a message of healing and encourage support for relief efforts following the Dec. 26 earthquake in the Indian Ocean.

The advertisement is scheduled to appear in USA Today's Jan. 3 edition in the United States and in its international editions on Tuesday, Jan. 4, said Bishop Peter D. Weaver, president of the denomination's Council of Bishops.

The ad is a major element of the church's effort to assist victims of the disaster, Weaver said. The undersea earthquake caused tidal waves that struck at least 12 countries from Southeast Asia to Africa, killing at least 117,000 people.

"We are called to respond to a loss of life and human suffering that is nearly beyond our ability to comprehend," Weaver said. "The United Methodist Church has a long history of responding to those in need. For more than 60 years the United Methodist Committee on Relief has offered long-term assistance to victims of disaster around the globe."

The ad focuses on weathered hands folded in prayer, with the headline: "In eleven countries, hands folded in prayer are already at work." The text asks people to join in giving "to those who have lost so much. ... Through whatever means that comfort you, let your prayers and generosity be felt across the world."

The ad is sponsored by United Methodist Communications, the denomination's communications agency. UMCom is responsible for the denomination's advertising campaign, "Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors. The People of The United Methodist Church."

"The struggle of those affected by this disaster is our struggle as well," Weaver said. "As we keep those persons in our prayers, we are getting to work to help them for as long as it takes to rebuild lives and communities."

News media contact: Stephen Drachler, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5411 or (615) 456-4710, or sdrachler@umcom.org.