From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 621-Online giving boosts aid, but relief will require millions,

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:42:22 -0500

Online giving boosts aid, but relief will require millions, officials
say

Dec. 31, 2004

By Jan Snider

As the need for help increases following the tragedy in South Asia and
Africa, United Methodist officials say that online giving is
providing a
new way of responding quickly.

The donations are sorely needed in a recovery effort that some
observers
say will cost billions. The Dec. 26 earthquake and resulting tidal
waves
in the Indian Ocean struck at least 12 countries, washing away entire
communities.

"The count of dead right now is 124,000 - only 16,000 less than
Hiroshima - and I would not be at all surprised if the final count is
higher," said the Rev. Kristin Sachen, head of disaster response for
the
United Methodist Committee on Relief. The Japanese city of Hiroshima
was obliterated by a U.S. atomic bomb during World War II.

Despite the overwhelming need, the Rev. Larry Hollon, top staff
executive of United Methodist Communications, is encouraged by the
initial response he's seen in donations made online. UMCom developed
the
MethodistRelief.org link for people to support UMCOR's efforts.

"Fortunately, we were online quickly and were able to offer people an
efficient, functioning site within a few hours of the first news
reports," he said. "The response since that time is heavy. Over a
million people have viewed our messages, (and) several thousand have
come to the site and made a secure donation. This is an amazing
response."

By Dec. 31, online donations through MethodistRelief.org were
$445,000.
But that figure is dwarfed by the tremendous need. Sachen noted that
one
agency in India alone is requesting $13 million in aid.

"All players are reporting that pre-positioned material goods are
depleted; we need to restore their supplies, plus continue to address
emergency needs," she said. "For at least a month, the focus is going
be on emergency relief, which will require huge amounts of money."

The funds given to UMCOR will be used quickly, Sachen said, with 100
percent of the donations going directly to the relief and recovery
efforts. "As soon as they are processed in a batch, they are sent into
the bank, and our account is credited in 24 hours," she said. "By
Tuesday (Jan. 4), with the upcoming holiday, we will be clear to
withdraw and send.

"Meanwhile, we are using a limited amount of funds on hand to send
(an)
initial $100,000 in relief," she said.

Online giving has turned out to be popular among many United
Methodists.
UMCOR's phone lines would probably be overwhelmed if the online option
didn't exist, Sachen said. The online giving option also meant that
UMCOR didn't have to wait until the first Sunday church offerings
after
the disaster - Jan. 2 - for donations.

The MethodistRelief.org link will remain in place as long as it is
needed, Hollon said. He added that he's never seen anything like this
tragedy in his career. "The loss of human life and scale of
destruction
is unlike anything I've seen in many years of covering humanitarian
issues for the church."

The online giving reflects the importance of new media, he said. The
response to the Indian Ocean disaster "will be remembered as a hinge
point in which the Internet came into its own."

"My guess is that in the future, slower, less responsive forms of
giving
will be evaluated by comparing them to the capability made possible by
online giving," Hollon said. "Apparently, people want to give
immediately, and they want their donations used as quickly and
possible."

UMCOR is providing the funds to church partners in the affected
regions.
Those partners already have networks, resources, leadership and people
in place to guide the recovery effort. While gifts of cash are the
greatest need, UMCOR is asking for a rapid response in the form of
health kits. Information on how to provide the kits can be found on
the
UMCOR Web site at http://gbgm-umc.org/umcor/kits.cfm.

U.S. churches, including United Methodist congregations, have already
sent 75 medicine boxes to Indonesia, and Sri Lanka has asked for 100.
Each box costs nearly $500. Donors have also offered to send canned
goods, clothing and toys, but UMCOR is discouraging those types of
donations for now.

UMCOR's rule of thumb is that unless someone overseas requests a
specific item shipped, the agency does not send it, Sachen said. Cash
allows the aid professionals to buy exactly what they need. Operating
this way helps reduce the burden on scarce resources, such as
transportation, she said. In addition, by providing funds, UMCOR helps
support the local economy of the stricken region and ensures
culturally
appropriate assistance.

In order to help churches respond to the relief effort, UMCOR will
have
a Sunday bulletin insert available for download. The bulletin will be
available at http://gbgm-umc.org/umcor/worship/ on Dec. 31.

Besides giving online, donations to UMCOR's "South Asia Emergency"
relief work can be placed in local church offering plates or sent
directly to UMCOR, 475 Riverside Drive, Room 330, New York, NY 10115.
Designate checks for UMCOR Advance #274305 and "South Asia Emergency."
Credit-card donations can be made by calling (800) 554-8583.

*Snider is a freelance producer for United Methodist News Service in
Nashville, Tenn.

News media contact: Ginny Underwood or Tim Tanton, Nashville, Tenn.,
(615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org