From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Members Contribute $2.5 Million For Tsunami Relief

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:18:26 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 3, 2005

ELCA Members Contribute $2.5 Million For Tsunami Relief
05-017-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) have contributed more than $2.5 million to support relief
efforts in southern Asia, after a Dec. 26 tsunami claimed more than
200,000 lives in several coastal countries of the Indian Ocean.
"Our church has responded abundantly to the tsunami disaster, and I'm
grateful for all the gifts from throughout our church family, offered on
behalf of those who seek to rebuild their lives and communities in south
Asia," said Kathryn Sime, director of the ELCA World Hunger and Disaster
Appeal.
Coordinated by the ELCA Division for Global Mission, International
Disaster Response often channels its funds through international church
organizations and relief agencies, and Lutheran churches in which the ELCA
has established a formal or "companion" relationship. Funds purchase
food, medicine, drinking water, emergency shelter and other materials for
survivors of disasters.
Thrivent Life Insurance Company, Minneapolis, contributed $765,000 to
the ELCA International Disaster Response for tsunami relief efforts.
"This generous gift from Thrivent Life Insurance will bring hope and
healing to children, families and communities who now face the challenges
of daily life after the tsunami. We are grateful for Thrivent Life
Insurance's partnership in our church's disaster ministries," Sime said.
The Thrivent gift "will be used exclusively" for tsunami relief,
Deressa said. "The funds will enable us to accompany our partners who are
implementing relief programs and help in rebuilding communities, building
shelters and housing, and providing psychological-social counseling for
people and children affected by trauma," she said.
"I thank members of the ELCA who have given generously and continue
to support International Disaster Response," Deressa said.
_ _ _

INTERNATIONAL DISASTERS:
Editors: When listing organizations receiving funds for aid to survivors
of major disasters outside the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S.
Virgin Islands, please include:

ELCA International Disaster Response, PO Box 71764 Chicago, IL 60694-1764,
1-800-638-3522, or at http://www.elca.org/disaster/idrgive on the
Internet.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news