From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop Appeals To President Of El Salvador

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:29:30 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 8, 2005

ELCA Presiding Bishop Appeals To President Of El Salvador
05-019-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and president of the
Lutheran World Federation (LWF), is appealing to the president of El
Salvador to investigate a raid and death of a security guard at the
Salvadoran Lutheran University, San Salvador.
"We deplore this vicious act against the university" and ask "for an
immediate and thorough investigation to uncover the identities of those
responsible," wrote Hanson in a Feb. 7 letter to President Elias Antonio
Saca.
On Jan. 29 Salvadoran Lutheran University "was raided and sacked,"
according to a news release issued by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Canada. The guard on duty, Manuel de Jesus Martinez, was killed. Almost
all of the university's equipment -- computers and educational materials
from the department for environmental services -- was stolen, including a
school bus left abandoned two blocks away from the home of the
institution's acting rector.
Police have captured two suspects in response to the crime, according
to laprensagrafica.com, an online news source. The university's equipment
has been recovered.
"We are concerned about the future safety of this entire university
community, those employed there as well as faculty and students," Hanson
said, asking the president of El Salvador to "direct the Policia Nacional
Civil to provide increased protection to the university and the
surrounding area. We are concerned that further violence could be
directed toward the university, which will make it impossible to fulfill
its educational mission."
In September 2004 Hanson visited the university. The ELCA "has
strong relationships with both the Salvadoran Lutheran Church and the
university," he said. "I was very impressed with the commitment of this
relatively young university to serve the poor of El Salvador through its
course offerings and scholarships for members of marginalized
communities."
The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran
tradition. Based in Geneva, Switzerland, the LWF has 138 member churches
in 77 countries. The ELCA is a member of the LWF.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news