From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan's Presbyterian Church Speaks out on National Issues

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:05:21 -0800

Taiwan Church News Special: 25th February 2005

PCT DECLARATION ON JUSTICE AND PEACE

The Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT), being concerned for the current
situation and future development of Taiwan, issued the following
declaration based on the belief which is stated in its Confession of Faith
that ¡§the church¡K is rooted in this land, identifying with its entire
inhabitants and, through love and suffering, becoming the sign of hope.¡¨

I. The Sovereignty of Taiwan is the Prerequisite Basis
for Partisan Cooperation.

The pursuit of peace is the common goal of all humankind, yet peace must be
established on the foundation of justice; the negotiation and cooperation
among various political parties must be conducted on the precondition of
the sovereignty of Taiwan as a nation.

We call upon all political parties to identify themselves with and cherish
Taiwan, the land on which we enjoy peace and stability both physically and
spiritually. All political parties should be loyal to Taiwan, working for
the dignity and welfare of all the peoples of Taiwan.

National sovereignty is the safeguarding umbrella for the promotion of
sustainable economic development and peoples¡¦ livelihood. Once the
sovereignty is lost, all programs of construction and development will be
bound to collapse. As a result, the government must, on behalf of Taiwan,
implement its political ideals and goals to insist on the upholding of the
national sovereignty, the campaign for ¡§Righting the Name,¡¨ the
commissioning of a new constitution, the admission to the United Nations as
a full member, care for the weak and the needy, and fulfillment of social
justice.

II. The Pursuit of Justice and Peace is the Common
Responsibility of the International Community.

The fact that Taiwan has been long isolated outside the international
community is a violation of the universal principle of justice and peace.

Taiwan and China are two sovereign states that do not belong to or
affiliate with each other. The nations of the world should support the
nation of Taiwan to join international organizations, to participate in
international affairs and to be able to contribute to justice, peace and
the security and welfare of humankind in the world.

We call upon the peoples and governments of the United States and other
nations, who uphold and honor democracy and freedom, to respect and
safeguard the national sovereignty of Taiwan, whenever they are seeking
cooperation from China in terms of international affairs.

III. The Establishment of a New Relationship between Taiwan and
China.

Taiwan and China should mutually recognize and respect each other based on
principle of equality, mutual respect, and peaceful co-existence.

Taiwan is not a territory of China. The democracy and freedom of Taiwan is
currently facing serious threats from China by means of both soft and hard
power. China deployed more than seven hundred missiles (the number still
increasing) aiming at Taiwan and is about to enact an ¡§Anti-Session Law.¡¨
This will not only sabotage the relationship between the two nations, but
also seriously endanger the peace and security of the Asia-Pacific region.

In this regard, we urge our nation to enact the ¡§Taiwan and China Relation
Act¡¨ to establish a new relationship between two nations, to safeguard the
sovereignty of Taiwan and the human security of its people, and to promote
harmony and prosperity of the Asia-Pacific region.

We appeal to all peoples of Taiwan to join in standing firmly and in
striving courageously with greater rigour and clarity of vision, for the
Bible says ¡§I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be
frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you
go.¡¨ (Joshua 1.9, NRSV)

¡§Steadfast love and faithfulness will meet; righteousness and peace will
kiss each other. Faithfulness will spring up from the ground, and
righteousness will look down from the sky.¡¨ (Psalm 85.10-11, NRSV)

Rev. Chen Dao-Shiung Rev. William
J. K. Lo

Moderator, 49th General Assembly General Secretary

Presbyterian Church in Taiwan Presbyterian
Church in Taiwan

For more information:Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan¡¦s
local languages.

Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw