From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Maryland priest Gregory Straub named General Convention

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@mail.epicom.org>
Date Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:48:18 -0500

Monday, February 7, 2005

Maryland priest Gregory Straub named General Convention executive
officer

(A photograph accompanying this article can be found online at:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_58150_ENG_HTM.htm )

ENS 020705-1

[ENS] The Rev. Gregory S. Straub -- rector of Emmanuel Church in
Chestertown, Maryland, and 14-term secretary of convention in the
Diocese of
Easton -- has been named executive officer of the General Convention,
the
principal legislative body of the Episcopal Church. Straub's new
position is
a joint appointment of Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold and the
president
of the General Convention's House of Deputies, the Very Rev. George L.
W.
Werner.

Straub, 56, has been an elected deputy to General Convention's triennial
meetings in 2003, 2000, 1997, and 1985, and an alternate in 1994. At the
2003 meeting in Minneapolis he served the 840-member House of Deputies
as
Assistant Secretary for Voting. At each meeting he represented the
Diocese
of Easton among the 100-plus deputations of four clergy and four
laypersons
from each of the Episcopal Church's dioceses nationally and abroad.

Straub will begin his duties April 15. He succeeds the Rev. Canon
Rosemari
Sullivan, who resigned in 2004 to pursue new ministry at the Virginia
Theological Seminary as its director of alumni relations. Sullivan was
executive officer since 1998.

"I am very impressed by Dr. Straub's breadth of view, fair-mindedness
and
clear sense that this is a ministry of service to the whole church," the
Presiding Bishop said of the new executive officer. "I have every
confidence
that he will carry forward and expand upon the excellent work done by
his
predecessor, Rosemari Sullivan, and the General Convention Office
staff."

"We have found someone who has many gifts in the many different areas
for
which the executive officer is responsible," Werner said of Straub's
appointment. "I have been involved in many searches, both secular and
sacred, but this was perhaps the most complex and multifaceted."

Said Straub: "I am looking forward to coming to New York. I have a lot
of
energy around the tasks that need to be done. I served at the 2003
General
Convention with several members of the General Convention Office staff,
and
found them to be extremely competent and a delight to work with, and I'm
also looking forward to learning from them and working with them."
Straub
will be working closely with the Presiding Bishop and the president of
the
House of Deputies, and sharing in the work of the Management Team at the
Episcopal Church Center.

Straub has been rector of Emmanuel Church since 1976 and has held
numerous
elected offices in the 41-congregation Diocese of Easton, situated along
Maryland's eastern shore. He has completed five terms as a member of the
diocese's standing committee, and three terms as its president. He is a
member and past officer of both the Historical Society of the Episcopal
Church and the National Episcopal Historians and Archivists
organization. He
is also an avid travel writer.

Straub was ordained to the priesthood in 1974 and served a congregation
in
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, before coming to Emmanuel, Chestertown. He was
born
in Irvington, New Jersey, and holds degrees from Drew University,
Philadelphia Divinity School, and Dickinson College.