From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Our Commitment to Partnership in the Gospel: A Word to the

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@mail.epicom.org>
Date Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:52:14 -0500

Monday, February 14, 2005

Our Commitment to Partnership in the Gospel: A Word to the Church from
Executive Council

ENS 021405-2

Sisters and Brothers in Christ,

The Executive Council has begun its part in the consultative processes
called for by the Windsor Report. We recognize that it will be a long
pilgrimage as we press on to the goal of reconciliation and healing. We
urge
all of the Episcopal Church to join us in this process of considering
the
report and growing in communion with each other and with the whole
Anglican
Communion.

As the representatives of the General Convention of the Episcopal Church
between its meetings, we are responsible for carrying out the mission
and
ministry approved by the previous General Convention. We are therefore
deeply concerned that "our current difficulties [may have a] negative
consequence ... on the mission of the Church to a suffering and
bewildered
world." (Windsor Report, Foreword, p.6)

The Council, consisting of elected laity, priests and bishops, reflects
the
diversity in the body of Christ which is The Episcopal Church, a
multinational and multicultural church that includes a broad spectrum of
views on the General Convention actions that led to the Windsor Report.
We
regret the pain and lost opportunities for ministry caused, both at home
and
abroad, by those actions.

Because of our particular ministry, the Council is mindful of our need
listen to and learn from other provinces in the Anglican Communion. We
welcome every chance to hear from guests from other provinces as they
share
glimpses of their realities and observations of the Council's work.
Council's work in many ways is a reflection of our commitment to be in
partnership with our Anglican brothers and sisters. At every meeting,
our
International Concerns Committee deals with issues such as covenants
with
newly autonomous provinces, encouraging global mission relationships,
and
advocating for peace and justice policies such as global debt relief.
Our
National Concerns Committee deals with refugee ministries, combating
racism,
developing socially responsible investment policies, and approving
Jubilee
Centers to minister to the poor and marginalized in this country. The
Congregations in Ministry Committee supports congregational development
and
such parish ministries as evangelis!
m, Christian education, youth work, and theological formation. The work
of
the Administration and Finance Committee includes identifying resources
provide grants to our overseas dioceses and others outside the U.S. for
their mission work. Thus we aspire to be faithful, in all that we
undertake,
to the "gift and divine expectation" of communion with God and one
another
in Christ. (Windsor Report, Paragraph 5, p.12)

At each meeting, as we approve companion relationships between dioceses
of
the Episcopal Church and dioceses of other Anglican provinces, we
rejoice in
the opportunities such relationships give our dioceses and congregations
develop real understandings of and appreciation for their fellow
Christians
living out Christ's mandate in other cultures and contexts. We know the
best
way truly to know one another is to work side by side, listening to one
another's hearts. The bishops have that opportunity at Lambeth
Conferences,
but Christ calls all of us who have been baptized into the same deep
love
and mutual support.

We believe, with our House of Bishops, that another important communion
building step would be to undertake the Communion-wide study of human
sexuality recommended by Lambeth Conferences since 1978. Such a study
"would
be a sign of respect for gay and lesbian persons in our common life and
of
our ongoing pastoral care for them." It would permit more sharing of
their
ministries and contributions which have enriched our church for many
years.
(House of Bishops letter, January, 2005)

In the Council, despite our differing views, we strive to incarnate the
gift
of communion, by focusing on mission together, by listening to each
other,
and by daily worship and Bible study. We have seen the same bonds
holding
the diverse center of our church together over the last two years
despite
the anguish felt by many on all sides of the issues. We trust that
through
the power of the Holy Spirit working in us and in our sisters and
brothers
throughout the Anglican Communion we will build new relationships of
mutual
responsibility and interdependence. (Windsor Report, Appendix Three/5,
pp.
74-77)

In this season of Lent, we commit ourselves to "self-examination and
repentance," as our liturgy for Ash Wednesday invites us. We also pray,
in
the words of our Collect for Wednesday in Holy Week, that "God may give
us
grace to accept joyfully the sufferings of the present time, confident
of
the glory that shall be revealed."

The Executive Council
February 11 - 14, 2005