From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] A word from the Presiding Bishop

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@mail.epicom.org>
Date Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:55:10 -0500

Thursday, February 24, 2005

A word from the Presiding Bishop

"The primates of the Anglican Communion and Moderators of the United
Churches have just completed their work on the attached communiqué
which
gives some sense of our meeting this week in Northern Ireland. These
days
have not been easy for any of us and the communiqué reflects a great
deal of
prayer and the strong desire to find a way forward as a Communion in the
midst of deep differences which have been brought into sharp relief
around
the subject of homosexuality.

"Clearly, all parts of the communiqué will not please everyone. It is
important to keep in mind that it was written with a view to making room
for
a wide variety of perspectives. I continue to have faith and confidence
in
the many ways in which the mystery of communion is lived among us, and
am
grateful that bonds of understanding and affection to bind us together
and
call us to an ever deeper and more costly living out of the
reconciliation
brought about by Jesus through the Cross. Again this week it was
revealed
that so much more unites us than divides us."

"The Presiding Bishop will make a further comment tomorrow."