From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[GOAA] Clearing House of Liturgical Items Launched

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:41:27 -0800

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org
Email: communications@goarch.org

March 7, 2005

Contact:
Fr. James W. Kordaris, Director
Department of Outreach & Evangelism
Tel. 646/519-6160 Fax. 646/519-6166
Email: outreach@goarch.org

CLEARINGHOUSE OF LITURGICAL ITEMS LAUNCHED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF OUTREACH & EVANGELISM

The Department of Outreach & Evangelism of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese
of America has launched a Clearinghouse of Liturgical Items to provide
small parishes with censers, chalice sets, baptismal fonts, kouvouklia, and
more. Parishes throughout the Archdiocese that find themselves in need of
these basic items are being put in contact with established parishes that
have several, some of which are rarely used.

All parishes of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America have been
supplied with a checklist to indicate items needed or available. The
Department will review the checklists and match up parishes to arrange for
delivery of liturgical items. Donor parishes will receive a list of
parishes needing those items that they have available and will be contacted
by the Department to expedite their transfer. Shipping expenses are the
responsibility of the receiving parish and the Department does not accept
or store liturgical items.

Initial response to a pilot program was overwhelmingly positive. Sister
parishes from across the Archdiocese are forming relationships as priests
contacted one another to arrange for delivery of items. One recipient
parish wrote, "We cannot tell you how wonderful it was to open it (the box)
up and find the items all so necessary to establish our new house of
worship?.What a blessing for us?.We cannot tell you how encouraging this is
for our Mission!"

To obtain copies of the checklist, visit the Outreach & Evangelism website
at www.outreach.goarch.org or contact the Department.

The Archdiocesan Department of Outreach & Evangelism was established by
Archbishop Demetrios of America in January 2003 "?to bring the Gospel of
our Lord to all those within the boundaries of our Archdiocese of America
who thirst to know The Way, The Truth and The Life." The mission of the
Department of Outreach & Evangelism is to revitalize the faith of active
Orthodox, reach out to inactive Orthodox Christians, meet the needs of
those inquiring about the Orthodox faith, offer tools for parish renewal,
and offer guidance in the establishment of new parishes.