From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 05140-Origami teaches Bible verses and cross-making

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:06:45 -0600

Origami teaches Bible verses and cross-making

Mar. 8, 2005 News media contact: Linda Green * (615) 7425470*
Nashville {05140}

NOTE: Photographs are available with this story at
http://www.umc.org/interior.asp?mid=6907.

By United Methodist News Service

Two North Carolina United Methodist pastors and a print shop owner have
created an interactive card to give children and youth a way to learn
Bible verses as they make a cross.

The three men came up with a concept of Fun + Scripture = Memory
Cross.

Memory Cross is an interactive card that puts God's word at the tips of
young fingers and into their hearts. The cards are designed in the
Origami style (a Japanese paper-fold) and each card contains a selected
Scripture. As a card is flipped and folded, words are revealed with the
last few words of the Scripture ending in the shape of a cross.

The Rev. Andy Lambert, Western North Carolina Conference General
Evangelist, has been on a mission to connect young people with ways to
learn Scripture. "For years I've looked for a fun, engaging way to get
Scripture into kids' heads and hearts," he said. "When I couldn't find
what I liked I came up with my own idea."

Lambert pitched the idea of a card and cross to the Rev. Bill Gibson,
associate pastor of Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church, Greensboro,
N.C. and Mike Vitamvas, owner of a printing business in High Point, N.C.
Gibson and Vitamvas thought the idea good, but could not visualize it.
Then pieces started to come together, Lambert said.

"One day I just started folding paper and when I made the shape of a
cross, I thought that I should pursue trying to create something that
works." Last year the three men spent months working on a design for
the card that would be attractive, fun and informational. They
officially launched Memory Cross, Inc. in January and have been
promoting the product exclusively through www.memorycross.com.

According to Gibson, company vice president and product developer,
Lambert's "idea is genius...I'm a technology geek when it comes to
gadgets and such, and that is what fascinates me the most about the
Memory Cross. It is really cool, simple to use, effective and oddly
enough, low-tech."

Memory Cross is targeted for children ages 4-13 and the use of striking
colors and graphics also make it attractive to youth and adults. Memory
Cross can be used in many ways, designers say. Parents can use the cards
at home. Camps can use them during devotional times. Churches may use
in Sunday school classes and during children's sermons.

It is believed that if the cards are used on a regular basis, children
could learn 52 Bible verses a year.

"This Scripture memory method is the coolest, most ingenious way to
learn and memorize Bible verses," Lambert said. "Learning Scripture
will transform lives, children love gadgets and hands-on learning, and
children (and everyone else) memorize longer sentences by breaking them
into small sections," he said.

While Memory Cross may be a fun way to learn Scripture, Vitamvas says
the lesson learned will sustain children in the future.

"Initially kids love the way it (the card) flips around, but by using
this simple tool they will memorize God's Word...When they start
struggling with things that are going on in their life, the verses they
learned will come back to them." Vitamvas is the secretary and
treasurer of Memory Cross and is responsible for production, product
development and marketing.

Lambert says that Memory Cross is catching on and the possibilities are
endless. The product has expanded to offer customized messages and blank
cards.

For more information about Memory Cross, Inc. or about the cards, visit.
www.memorycross.com.

# # #

*The article was adapted from a release by Dawn Hand, Director of
Communications for the Western North Carolina Annual Conference.

News media contact: Linda Green, (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org