From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] 'Repairing the World': Anglican women bring global views to

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@mail.epicom.org>
Date Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:22:27 -0500

Daybook, from Episcopal News Service

March 7, 2005 - Monday Mission

'Repairing the World': Anglican women bring global views to U.N. forum

By Matthew Davies

[ENS, New York] Uniting to address poverty, disease and gender equity
among
other issues worldwide, Anglican women attending the 49th session of the
United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (UNCSW) led a March 6
forum
seeking international solutions to expand healthcare, education, and
economic justice.

"Repairing the World: Anglican Women's Faith in Action," was moderated
by
the Anglican Observer at the United Nations, Archdeacon Taimalelagi
Tuatagaloa-Matalavea, and included reflections from Kenya, Polynesia,
South
India, United States and West Africa.

Keynote speaker Marian Wright Edelman -- founder and president of the
U.S.-based Children's Defense Fund -- called participants, gathered at
New
York's Cathedral of St. John the Divine, to solidarity in prioritizing
the
needs of children, as well as the eradication of poverty and violence.

"Women and people of faith need to teach our children that there are
some
enduring values that don't change even when the environment changes
around
them," Edelman said. "We need to make our young people hear what we
think is
important ... Our nations' and our world's moral compass need to be
safe."

Jamaica-born Angela King, former United Nations assistant secretary
general
and special adviser on gender issues and advancement of women, spoke
about
violence against women and the role of women in peacemaking. "We know
that
violence is increasing all over the world and the United Nations has
very
firmly come out and said that violence cannot be tolerated," she said.
"We
need to collect data at the national level and adopt zero tolerance
campaigns."

There are many instances where women throughout the world are helping
the
peace process, King added. "Women in Liberia, for example, went into the
forest to make soldiers lay down arms. Women in Somalia persuaded
warlords
to come back to the table to discuss peace."

In South Africa, where she worked in the lead up to the first democratic
elections, King's job was to reduce tension and create the kind of
environment where peaceful elections could take place. "We found that
women
became very successful at the local level," she said. "It was practice
in
South Africa for men to stage walkouts -- women never did that and in
fact
they often persuaded the men to come back to the table."

King insisted that women are better at negotiating. "They are perceived
be less threatening," she said. "Women are also better at reconciliation
I hope that when you return to your countries and churches you will be
inspired to work towards the Beijing Platform for Action," a declaration
created in 1995 to advance the goals of equality, development and peace
for
all women.

An Episcopal Church delegation to UNCSW made an impact this week through
its
leadership in drafting a statement for the Economic Commission for
Europe
NGO Regional Caucus declaring unequivocal support of BPFA and forcing
the
U.S. government to rescind its anti-sexual and reproductive rights
amendment. The declaration sought to reaffirm that the Beijing Platform
and
the outcome of the 23rd Special Session of the General Assembly (Beijing
+5)
"do not create new international human rights and do not include the
right
to abortion." The decision marks a significant victory in support of
women's
human rights worldwide.

UNCSW was established in 1946 to promote women's rights in political,
economic, civil, social and educational fields. Since 1995, a priority
has
been to assess the progress of BPFA.

Test of morality

Edelman offered some sobering statistics about how an American child is
abused and neglected every 30 seconds and one is born into poverty every
60
seconds. "After we commit to speaking truth to power we need to redefine
and
grab back morality," she said. "The test of morality in a society is how
we
treat our children. We are the wealthiest and also the most militarily
powerful nation and somehow we can't protect our children."

"We can eliminate child poverty in this nation and we are going to do
it,"
she added.

Encouraged by the many women worldwide who advocate for peace and
justice,
Edelman said, "Just imagine what we can do if we all get together ... We
can
see and envisage a world where there is no more child poverty. We must
believe it and then we must act on it."

Highlighting other important factors in achieving such goals, Edelman
spoke
about the need to renew one's faith "as with God and with courage we can
get
anything done," but also urged women to assign themselves rather than
relying on others.

"We get so overwhelmed ... let's just remember that each of us can be a
flea: a flea for justice, a flea for women, a flea for children," she
said.
"Just remember that fleas make very big dogs uncomfortable. We will move
these big dogs of injustice away."

Edelman described how influential her childhood had been in giving her
the
determination to make a difference in the world. "I learned very early
on
what the smallest helping hands can mean to a person in need," she said.
"I
was taught that the world had a lot of problems but that I could change
them."

That message is reflected in the women here, Edelman added. "We have got
convey that same vision to our children and grandchildren. We need to
make
the message of this world clearer so that they can have a decent world
grow up in."

God's calling

During the panel reflections, King said that it was a great honor to be
on
same platform with Edelman, "who women all over the world have heard of
and
admire."

King was the first person ever to receive the Anglican Observer's award
for
global service -- conferred in the presence of Archbishop of Canterbury
--
in recognition of her work.

The Rev. Sereima Lomaloma, diocesan secretary and registrar for the
Diocese
of Polynesia, was the first indigenous woman to be ordained in her
province.
"God calls each one of us at a particular time for a particular
purpose,"
she said. "When I was ordained it was very significant because it was
indicative of how barriers can be broken."

Lomaloma left a job with the public service to take up her position as
diocesan secretary in 2000. "When I heard about the job I immediately
thought that it was for me," she said. "I was not interested in how much
it
pays. I believed that God had called me. I know that God had prepared me
for
that time. Over the years God had shown me in very practical ways that
this
is God of abundance, miracle and a God who provides for me."

Meanwhile, Dr. Ester Mombo, in her role as academic dean of St. Paul's
United Theological College in Kenya, tries to ensure that students are
equipped to be critical thinkers and servants of God and humanity.
"Society
is changing and has crucial issues that affect humanity," she said. "As
theological educator I hope to inform the work that women do."

In her work with women and children who live with HIV/AIDS, Mombo said
that
her faith is challenged every day. "My role is to help my students to
break
the silence of the church, to make the church accommodate those who are
infected and affected and to stand with them in times of need," she
said.
"My role is to help my students to be able to empower women wherever
they
are ... The church has a moral obligation to make sure the treasures of
theological education are available to all women who wish to
participate..."

During a question-and-answer session following the panel discussion,
Mombo
urged Anglican women to put pressure on the government. "It's stronger
if
Christians stand up and we need a stronger way of dealing with these
issues," she said. America is good at telling the world how it should
run
but not good at listening. Listen to what we are saying, stand with us,
but
continue to put pressure on your own government."

As general secretary of the Church of South India (CSI), Asia's largest
and
oldest ecumenical church, Pauline Sathiamurthy describes her
surroundings as
a "patriarchal male-dominated society," and she is proud to be "a woman
working in a man's world."

"Women are marginalized," she said, "but the Church of South India has
launched a massive campaign against these practices."

Sathiamurthy also explained how women in South India are robbed of
dignity
and independence and are exposed to many hazards in workplace.
Furthermore,
she said, little girls have become prostitutes and men come and use them
and
then abandon them once they know they are infected with HIV.

"CSI is trying to forge forward and put sense into society and push
forward
the plight of the woman.

Another issue in India, Sathiamurthy explained, is the small minority of
the
upper caste and the large majority of the lower caste. "It is a primary
concern of the Church in India that the same privileges are extended to
the
lower caste and to all Christians irrespective of caste.

Amelia Ward, a Liberian widow with four children, is an activist and
leader
of the Mano River Peace Process in West Africa. She explained the plight
of
people in an area which has endured 14 years of civil conflict: "750,000
people became refugees. 1.2 million became displaced," she said. "Most
are
women and children. Women are raped or murdered and forced into
marriages.
The emotional and psychological costs are high as we try to rebuild our
lives."

Speaking about her personal compassion for humanity, Ward emphasized her
strong belief in God. "Faith and strong determination ensure that the
message of women and children is heard," she said. "We were determined
to be
a part of peace process and talks. Our faith was able to bring sanity to
Liberia. We are embarking now on projects and programs that will empower
women."

Ward added that her motto is: in God everything is possible. "Together
we
can bring peace to our world," she said. "And God is bringing Anglican
women
together to repair the world."

Closing prayers were offered by Phoebe Griswold, convener of the
Anglican
Women's Empowerment Team. Griswold is the wife of the Episcopal Church's
Presiding Bishop, Frank Griswold, who attended the forum presentation.
Diocesan Bishop Mark Sisk and Bishop Suffragan Cathy Roskam of New York
were
also in attendance.

Further information about UNCSW can be found online at:
www.episocpalchurch.org/uncsw.

[A photograph accompanying this article can be found online at:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_59687_ENG_HTM.htm ]

--Matthew Davies is staff writer and web manager of Episcopal News
Service.