From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishops Send Message To Church On Sexuality Recommendations

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:15:45 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 9, 2005

ELCA Bishops Send Message To Church On Sexuality Recommendations
05-038-JB

DALLAS (ELCA) -- The Conference of Bishops of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), acknowledging its members are "not of
one mind" on issues related to homosexuality, sent a message to the church
at the conclusion of its spring meeting here. The conference urged the
church to affirm two recommendations resulting from a three-year study on
homosexuality conducted by a task force of the church, but could offer no
definitive advice on the most controversial of the three recommendations.
The ELCA Conference of Bishops is an advisory body of the church,
consisting of the 65 ELCA synod bishops, ELCA secretary and ELCA presiding
bishop. It met here March 3-7.
The report and recommendations, released Jan. 13, provides possible
answers to two key questions on homosexuality: Should the church bless
same-gender relationships? Should the church allow people in such
relationships to serve the church as professional lay and ordained
ministers?
The task force recommended that the ELCA:
+ concentrate on finding ways to live together faithfully in the
midst of disagreements. The Conference of Bishops called on the church to
affirm this recommendation. "We understand that this recommendation
commits us to continuing our journey together for the sake of God's
mission," the bishops' message said.
+ continue to respect the pastoral guidance of a 1993 statement of
the ELCA Conference of Bishops opposing the blessing of homosexual
relationships but remaining open to pastors wanting to provide pastoral
care for gay and lesbian Lutherans. The bishops asked the church to affirm
the 1993 statement "leaving it as it was intended -- a matter of advice
and counsel," the message said.
+ continue under current standards that expect unmarried ministers to
abstain from sexual relations -- defining marriage as being between a man
and a woman -- but respecting the consciences of those who find these
standards in conflict with the mission of the church, the ELCA may choose
to refrain from disciplining gay and lesbian ministers in committed
relationships and from disciplining those who call or approve partnered
gay or lesbian people for ministry.
"We acknowledge that as a conference we are unable to offer a
definitive word of advice on recommendation three," the Conference of
Bishops said. "Some bishops are convinced there should be no change in the
practice and policy of our church. Other bishops favor changes both in
policy and in practice though there is no consensus as to how such changes
should take place."
The bishops acknowledged their differences on homosexuality. "We
hold each other in love and respect. We recognize that our differences are
rooted in deeply held convictions. We honor the integrity of these
convictions of conscience and faith 'with all humility and gentleness,
with patience, bearing with one another in love, making every effort to
maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace (Ephesians 4:2-3),'"
the message said.
"For the sake of the unity of this church and its mission, we are not
divided by these differences," the message said. "As evidence of this, we
point to the extraordinary engagement of this church in God's mission in
the world and our full participation in that work. We thank God for this."
The Conference of Bishops' message said they "see throughout this
church that a commitment to the authority of Scripture is not solely the
concern of those who seek to maintain the tradition. Similarly compassion
for gay and lesbian persons and a commitment that they be treated justly
are not solely concerns of those advocating change."
Between now and the churchwide assembly, the conference called on
ELCA members to unite in prayer, read Scripture and Luther's Large
Catechism, participate in weekly worship, study theology, practice
forgiveness, invite people to a faith community, and "serve and love in
Christ's name."
"We understand in all of this that we have responsibility for the
stewardship of the unity given to us by the Lord Jesus Christ. We also
understand that we exercise that stewardship with brothers and sisters of
the whole Church throughout the world," the message said.
"We further understand that we have a responsibility for protection
of the most vulnerable. This includes not only the poor, the widow, the
orphan, and the stranger, but also all who feel estranged by virtue of
their deeply held convictions," the message concluded.
The one-page message was intended to advise the boards of the ELCA
Division for Church in Society, ELCA Division for Ministry, and the ELCA
Church Council, as each considers what to do with the task force report
and recommendations on homosexuality. Eventually, the report and its
recommendations, along with proposals on how to consider the issues, will
make their way to the 2005 ELCA Churchwide Assembly, Aug. 8-14, in
Orlando, Fla.

Long Hours to Craft Message
The Conference of Bishops debated and discussed the task force
recommendations over several hours during their meeting here. Those
sessions included a two-and-one-half hour closed, off-the-record session
March 6; an unplanned, informal two-hour writing session the same day
attended by more than 40 bishops; and more than two hours of debate and
discussion March 7 before the conference adopted the statement by
consensus and adjourned.
The bishops took a series of "straw" votes, intended to determine the
possibilities, if any, on which they could agree regarding recommendation
three. For example, by a vote of 36-22, the bishops present favored that
there be no votes taken at the churchwide assembly on sexuality issues. On
another possibility, they narrowly favored by a vote of 36-26 all three
recommendations provided there were a series of precise "exception"
procedures that would allow people who are gay and lesbian and in
committed relationships to serve as professional lay and ordained leaders.
On still another possibility, the bishops favored 29-26 possible
legislative language that would create a "provisional" clergy roster,
which would limit the types of service for which these leaders would be
eligible.
"The third recommendation ? is so problematic for us," said the Rev.
E. Roy Riley, bishop of the ELCA New Jersey Synod, Hamilton Square, and
chair of the Conference of Bishops, in an interview with the ELCA News
Service. Many conference members seemed willing to create "space" for
people who are gay and lesbian and in committed relationships to serve as
professional lay and ordained leaders, but "there's simply no consensus on
how that might be done," he said.
"There are, of course, members of the conference who believe that we
would be better off not creating any space whatsoever and would be more
affirming of simply continuing the welcoming kind of stance that we have
been in for gay and lesbian persons in the church," Riley added.
Calling the message "significant" for the conference, Riley said he
believes the bishops' struggle was similar to what the voting members will
experience at the churchwide assembly in Orlando.
"It will just be a much larger gathering. But I think there's a lot
of trust ? and confidence in the Spirit's work among the people of God as
they gather in assembly in Orlando," he said.
----
The full text of the Conference of Bishops message is at
http://www.elca.org/sr/bishopsregardtostudy.html on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news