From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Elliott Named Editor For 'Lutheran Woman Today' Magazine

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:01:08 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 10, 2005

Elliott Named Editor For 'Lutheran Woman Today' Magazine
05-039-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Katherine Sprutta Elliott will become the third
editor of "Lutheran Woman Today" effective April 1. Lutheran Woman Today
is the magazine of Women of the ELCA, the women's organization of the
church.
Elliott succeeds Nancy J. Goldberger, who became editor of Lutheran
Woman Today in 2001. Nancy J. Stelling, Raleigh, N.C., served as the
first editor of the magazine from 1987 to 2001.
"I am so very pleased that Kate Elliott is joining our staff," said
Linda Post Bushkofsky, executive director, Women of the ELCA. "Kate
brings a unique blend of skills and experience to the position. She also
understands the women who are part of our organization; just as
importantly, she also understands women who are not yet involved. Kate
has a vision for the magazine that will build on these things," said
Bushkofsky.
Born in Blue Island, Ill., Elliott earned a bachelor of arts degree
in literature at Wheaton College, Wheaton, Ill., in 1980. She
participated in a summer literature program at St. Anne's College, Oxford,
England, in 1980.
Since 1999 Elliott has served as editor for "Seeds for the Parish," a
resource newspaper for leaders published by the ELCA Department for
Communication. From 1995 to 1999 she was associate editor for Lutheran
Woman Today. Elliott was assistant editor and newsletter managing editor
for Consumer's Digest Inc. and Your Money -- national consumer magazines
issued bimonthly. She served as assistant to the director of The Chicago
Foundation for Women from 1986 to 1987, coordinator of AIDS Action
Project, Howard Brown Memorial Clinic, Chicago, from 1984 to 1986, and
administrative assistant, Food and Wine Magazine, from 1980 to 1984.
"I'm excited to have the opportunity to work on Lutheran Woman Today,
an award-winning publication," said Elliott. "Lutheran Woman Today is a
wonderful gift not only to those who participate in Women of the ELCA, but
to all women in this church. The women's organization has an important,
prophetic ministry and I am grateful to be a part of it," she said.
"I want to see Lutheran Woman Today help readers continue to grow in
faith through Bible study, be strengthened by stories that inspire and
inform, and feel connected to their faith communities, the wider church,
and the rich heritage of Lutheran theology," Elliot said.
"My dream is that all women in the ELCA will get to see the magazine
at least once, and I think that if they do most will want to read every
issue. Lutheran Woman Today can help women deepen their faith and start
conversation around things that really matter -- God's love for us and
God's work in the world. It's not like the magazines they see in the
check-out line at the grocery store, which focus on celebrities or recipes
or how to lose those last 10 pounds," she said.
Lutheran Woman Today is published 10 times a year, monthly except for
bimonthly issues in January/February and July/August. Each issue carries
and supports Women of the ELCA's Bible study, the most widely used Bible
study in the ELCA. In addition to stories, the magazine features
information about Women of the ELCA programs, activities and events.
Women of the ELCA Sixth Triennial Gathering will take place July 5-10 in
San Antonio, Texas.
_ _ _

Information about Women of the ELCA and Lutheran Woman Today is
available at http://www.womenoftheelca.org on the Internet.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news